_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Fraud eBay Email circulating... PLEASE READ
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
I just got a very clever fraudulent email that appears to come from eBay. This is the text:

Quoted Text

Dear eBay User,

During our regular udpate and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on Ebay has been restricted. To start using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by clicking below :

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation

Regards,

eBay

**Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A Responce**

The link above DOES NOT go where it indcates. Rather it goes here:

http://211.217.224.102:4901

Obviously not the address indicated above and not even a secure URL (https).

Beware this email and you may want to let friends know as this baby is SURE to fool many folks.

Cheers,
Jim

PS: Yes I know it's not really modeling related but I wanted to be sure most of you see this.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks Jim, It s always good to get warnings about Viruses and Frauds!!!! I don't think anyone will complain about the warning. Espeecialy since a lot of us use Ebay as a way to get to some realy old stuff cheep!!!! Thanks again STUG
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Yeah I got this e-mail as well.....but figured it was a hoax anyway...considering it got sent to my home address.....and Ebay has never had my home e-mail, as I have always used my MSN address for anything e-mail related.
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hi Jim, , I got the same e-mail myself and forwarded it to the E-bay fraud division and they confirmed that is was a scam. Ebay will never ask for your user name or logon password they have it already. These E-mails are called spoofs and there are several variations out there. Some are even bold enough to ask for bank account # and social security #. If you get one of these e-mails forward it to ebay and help them get these bastards
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
its fake . somebody should email the real ebay and tell them about this
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
I just got another "doozie" from what appears to be Microsoft:

Quoted Text

MS User

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to protect your computer. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

The email is nicely formated, has links to MS site and MS graphics in the header. But MS would never send out an .EXE attachment for users to run to do updates. Pleeeeze.....

Hackers

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its fake . somebody should email the real ebay and tell them about this

Already done. Not sure I will bother with the MS one. Anyone uh... challenged enough to run an EXE file attachment is asking for whatever they get.

Jim
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:30 PM UTC
Here's a link that explains this "MS" virus:

[email protected]

It's your basic internet worm. I've read of people getting 200 emails with this virus attached. Basic network security is required here. If you get an email with an attachment that you weren't expecting, contact the sender before opening the file, or just delete it outright.

Michael
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:37 PM UTC
I have talked with E-Bay and MS. They both said that they never send an attachment in their E-Mails. Also if E-Bay needs an update it will be from a URL that has a capital H in the http: The capital H puts you in the secure URL. I say when in doubt don't, and delete the message.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 12:48 PM UTC
All the spammers of the world should be rounded up and nailed to trees lining the road to Rome.

I just delete every piece of email that I'm not 100% sure of the sender. Unfortunately I mistakenly deleted an email from my mother-in-law last week -- OOPS!!! (no really- she's very nice, but my wife was mad)
My method works 99.8% of the time.

Peter
 _GOTOTOP