Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
ON THE SPOT BANDAGE???????????
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 01:54 PM UTC
I was visiting a forum when one modeler showed off some of his handy work with a home made bandage that was made from yellow masking tape just so he could keep on building.

My question to you is what was your inspiration when necessity struck for either a visit to the medicine cabinet / emergency care or just make it your self and keep on working.

Mine was when working on a bass wood wing for 1/2A speed ship (control line) I slipped with a hook bill knife into my thigh. To stop the blood my brother tied a towel around my leg and we contiued working since the contest was just a week away. Well the next morning our mother had a cow when she saw the bloody towels and grabbed me by the ears and took me to the emergency room for some stitches, but hey we took 3rd. at the meet the next week so the cut did not hurt after that. BTW I was 15, the time in our lives when we absolutely have no brains. I wanted to keep that towel for good luck but could not find it.

Bob
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 02:37 PM UTC
Well I had a few nasty cuts in my day. If I just needed a stitch or two I would not bother to seek help. Here's my solution (hand to god)…I would wipe done the cut and dry it, then add a drop of super glue to close up the wound. Did it burn, yes like a mother, only for a few moments. Wrap it in a bandage and go back modeling.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC
Joe,
I have attached my fingers to many items with caynoacrlite but I never used it to close a wound it was faster to just wrap it. I rememeber the urban legend regarding 3M when they develped the glue and some one placing some on the toilet seats. HUM!!!!!!!!!! I do not think they had develped the debonder then

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
I was working as a dishwasher. My boss had been covering for my coworker before I clocked in. So, wet slippery floor, buckets full of sauce cups all over and a cut metal workstation. I put a plate up, turned around, tripped over one of the buckets. This sent my knee into the cut metal work station. Cut loose about a 1/3 of my kneecap. We were out of bandages, so I wrapped it in paper towels and kept on working. Never did have it properly dressed or looked at by a doctor. This was when I was 18 and invincible.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 04:56 AM UTC
[quote] This was when I was 18 and invincible. [quote] and as stupid as the rest of us it is a wonder our body's still works after the abuse.

Bob
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hey Joe, What you missed is that back in pre-history when Bob was 15, we didn't have CA on our modeling desks....
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Mark why did you have to tell everyone my age

Bob
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 447 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
I've used the superglue on cuts a few times already and it always works.

Best one was once when i was trying to shoot something. The stripper clip i was shoving into my gun caught and I almost completely took off the top right corner of my thumbnail. Thankfully I had just enough left attached to hold it together until I could reach the superglue.
Just had to add more every so often until it grow out.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
I believe you will find that superglue was developed to close wounds and is still used in hospitals today.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:13 PM UTC
Super glue is the bomb. Between this stuff and 100MPH tape (military duct tape) I've repaired myself more times than I care to remember with both. I tore one of my finger nails about 3/4 of the way off. Hurt like hell, but I didn't want to finish removing as it would have been completely exposed and hurt worse. I laid the flapping portion back down, and ran a bead of CA over the torn area to tack it down. Once it was secure, I laid a heavier bead over the entire nail...and like a dumb ass, I hit it with some kicker. Oh it kicked alright. I went from hurting like hell to burning and hurting like hell in the blink of an eye. About 5 seconds worth of new colorful words and all was right with the universe. And the nail eventually grew back in...took awhile, but it did.
As for 100MPH tape....I had a good inch, inch and a half of my ear partially torn away from my head playing rugby while still in the service. We were in our field gear which consisted of BDU's, boots, and LBE (Load Bearing Equipment). I had a butt-pack on mine and inside was a roll of 100MPH tape. I'm glad I had it. My wingman taped the top of my ear down so it wouldn't get snagged again then ran a length of tape around my head much like a bandage/sweatband and we kept playing. Yeah I was stylin'!
Went to see the doc later and he just shook his head, then stitched my ear back in place. Gotta love GI ingenuity. "Q"
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
@ Matt: FOTFALMAO and I mean OFF, hey we called that tape ordnace tape and it was like gold so everyone had at least one stashed in their flight bag or night kit, as for the kicker ya should a known better mama gave ya brains to knock out not knock off the fingers And we think that we are sooooo! smart by telling our intimate hurt stories to all of these youngster thinking that they may learn some sage wisdom when all they are doing is laughing at us old dumb farts

Bob
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
They can laugh all they want....I do. Some day they will be the ones relaying their "Back when I was young and smart" story's. You ever notice that you never hear stories that start off that way....it's always "Young and dumb"....Hmmmm, makes me wonder sometimes. "Q"
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
"I was so much older then / I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan