History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The Best Fighting Force in History
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:14 AM UTC
I'd opt for the Spartans too. They fought to the last man in Thermopyhlae.
RedwingNev
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 911 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2004 - 07:15 AM UTC
Without question the Mongols. They were quite simply unstoppable by any army of their time. From Central Europe to Vietnam they swept all before them.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 01:33 PM UTC
I would also like to "nominate" the Gurkhas. The mere fact that the British army (and even the Indian army) still maintains such a unit to this day is testament of the quality of men Nepal provides. Thry may be small in stature but big on discipline, tenacity and courage in battle which earned the respect of the British.
DD-393
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 97 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC
I'm going to go back 140 years to the late War of the Rebellion, and submit that The Iron Brigade was the finest fighting force in history. Consisting of the 2nd Wisconsin, 6th Wisconsin, 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, and from October of 1862, the 24th Michigan, they were all volunteers, ordinary American citizens, defending the ideal of The American Experiment. This one brigade fought "Stonewall" Jackson's division to a standstill at Gainesville, assaulted and took a nearly impregnable defensive position at Turner's Gap at South Mountain, took the Cornfield at Antietam, retreating only when support did not arrive, and assaulted MacPherson's Ridge at Gettysburg, capturing a general and holding firm all afternoon until the collapse of the XI Corps rendered their position hopeless.

-Charlie