Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
damned if you do, damned if you don't (rant)
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
entire network: 2,365 Posts
KitMaker Network: 474 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC
This is a recurring irritation... I've been reading reviews for oh-so-long, and most of the problems with tank kits (and one that kept me away from them for a while) was that the one-piece track was simply cr@p. Not only the detail (which the DS made good for), but for the fact that only "live" tracks were realistic without the involvement of threads and wires; plus the paint tends to flake off if they're bent too much (not to mention the issues with gluing, paint-incompatibilities, and the fact that sometimes the plastic axes of the idlers were bent because of the tension...
So these were THE big issues in reviews.
Anyhow. Fast forward to the 2000s.
Dragon started including a fantastic Magic Track with its kits -no cleanup, nothing. (Unless you were really-really anal, but then again, you'd buy all the PE and Fruil you can, anyway.) You can have realistic tracks with no extra costs.
And what is THE issue with (certain) reviews?
You got it.
The lack of one-piece DS tracks.
And what happens if, for some reason, there's nothing to complain about?
You got it.
The included DS tracks.
http://missing-lynx.com/reviews/axis/dml6678previewbg_1.html

Seriously. Like that joke with the bunny: not matter what he does, he gets beaten up.

arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
entire network: 674 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
People never know what they want or need. Anyway, only the more experienced modeller can handle the indy links no problem. I remember my first Dragon kit, an old late brummbar, it was a disaster. The ideal solution would be to include both.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 08:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seriously. Like that joke with the bunny: not matter what he does, he gets beaten up.

I don't know that one - tell it to us
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
I know what you mean. I hate single piece rubber tracks. This is one reason I prefer Trumpeter and Academy kits, they usually include indy tracks. I even create jigs to ensure my indy tracks come out straight. Rubber is fubar.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 11:50 PM UTC
Guess what, those magic tracks for the Type 2 Ka-Mi are sold separately ...

Now that's something I'd call lame with a capital L. And the preview "poster" even had a section showing Magic tracks. I wondered how, as the vehicle didn't seem to have stowed spare track links. Now it's clear why they were there.
Funny, that Missing-Lynx preview mentioned there was around 60 magic track links inlcuded for reasons unkown.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 06:46 AM UTC
It's Dragon's fault. Dragon should put both in box, but Dragon has trophy wife. She never give it away, and neither does Dragon.
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:06 PM UTC
Does it really matter? I mean unless you plan on taking it to a show and plan on winning or for a commission it shouldn't matter how the tracks are. I finally gave up on all the tedious things like what track and whats wrong with the kit yada yada yada. Now I just build for the enjoyment. I've got over two hundred kits in the stash and if I worry about about things they won't ever be built. Just my opinion guys.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does it really matter? I mean unless you plan on taking it to a show and plan on winning or for a commission it shouldn't matter how the tracks are. I finally gave up on all the tedious things like what track and whats wrong with the kit yada yada yada. Now I just build for the enjoyment. I've got over two hundred kits in the stash and if I worry about about things they won't ever be built. Just my opinion guys.

If it doesn't matter to you that's okay - for you. In your case why bother putting the tracks on at all? I'm not a rivet counter but it does matter to me. What you see as tediouys I and many modellers see as important- otherwise we wouldn't bother with our large reference libraries or asking questions of each other on the net or visiting museums with huge capacity SD cards in our cameras.

So yes it really matters
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hey tankfixer,
I agree with you, like you I build for me and the Fun of it.

The only real remedy to this is for the manufactures to include both in the kits.
So lets all stop buying these kits untill the manufactures inclue both DS and Indy tracks in the kits without a price increase......
milvehfan
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
As including both track types in a kit would increase the likelihood of their product being bought over a competitor, and it would be seen as a bonus which should result in more sales upon its release when most expensive. Add to that the increased customer satisfaction which increases brand loyalty, I see no reason why they could not include both without increasing the price.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
My problem is, you see these in box reviews, 5-10 years ago when Dragon started putting Magic Tracks in the kits, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Now however, since they have come along with the DS tracks, now if a new kit only has the Magic Tracks, it is considered a negative, I just don't get it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!!
tankfixer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 167 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If it doesn't matter to you that's okay - for you. In your case why bother putting the tracks on at all? I'm not a rivet counter but it does matter to me. What you see as tediouys I and many modellers see as important- otherwise we wouldn't bother with our large reference libraries or asking questions of each other on the net or visiting museums with huge capacity SD cards in our cameras.

So yes it really matters

Hmm ok. Just remember though to anyone outside of a modeling forum these are considered toys. To me I don't bother with a reference either because those are subject to change. Oh well to each their own.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
They should include both and so should all of the other manufacturers. If you are noob just starting out or if you have been doing it for years you might want to try the links or say to heck with it and go with the single piece.
It used to be that all you got were the single piece vinyl tracks, anyone remember the original M1 from Tamiya? They were great tracks and well detailed. IF you could over look the fact that the end connectors and center guides were in the wrong place. Is that rivet counting?
After having served on an actual Abrams in combat I am more inclined to look at other items that many miss (even some of the "gods" of the hobby). Including both sets of tracks should not increase the price more than $1 or $2 bucks $5 at the most. Take the hit and you'll make everyone happy. . . or not. Cheers.