_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Pandora - 24gun frigate, problem
Miljan-Pg
Visit this Community
Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

Im beginner at scale modeling. Firs model im gonna make is 24-gun frigate "Pandora".

After just a few steps, im stuck and i need someone to help me.

I made stem (B2/2) and and stam framing (B2/6, B2/7 and B2/8) like on these pics. ,

and now i have problem with "stam framing".
There are 5 different shapes of stem framing, as you can see on the picture of framing types .
I made all of them, and i placed them on the stem.
I can assume that "the shortest framing" goes on the rear of the ship , and the longest one, on the front, but what is happening between them.
Do i have to cut every single next frame different from last one, or i can put a 4 groups of same frames.

I cant find explanation of this in book (Anatomy of the ship - 24 gun frigate Pandora)

thank in advance
Miljan
Montenegro, EU
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
The longest one would likely be located amidships. The hull widens from the bow to the midships point, then narrows again until it reaches the stern. It's probable that several of the ribs in the midships area will be similar in shape Take a look at the cover picture. Notice how the hull widens rapidly between the bow and the foremast, stays roughly the same shape until the mainmast and then tapers back to the stern. Those 5 shapes look as though they'd fit between the mainmast and the stern post. You should find some hull profiles to get an idea. This is what I'm talking about. The lines show the curves at varying sections of the hull and the profiles at the left hand side of the page show a stern/bow view of the hull sides. Here's a whole page of hull drawings (all related to Patrick O'Brian's books). Your book cover says that it has a fold-out plan. Are the hull lines shown there?

You may want to find a small plastic model frigate to see the lines of the hull in 3D

J
 _GOTOTOP