_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Testors homemade decals
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
I was down at my local Walmart and I saw this "make your own" product. Does anyone know anything about it or has anyone used it? I have been wanting to try my hand and making custom decals for awhile, is there an easy way to do this? Any words words of wisdom for a guy sick of the decals that come with the kit and too cheap to buy aftermarket?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
I don't know what comes in Testor's kit,. but ultimately what you need are a master print in the scale you are using and decal paper. You can paint or use dry transfers directly onto the paper and transfer it to the model or you can get a computer generated design and have that printer with a color laser printer onto blank decal paper. This should be saled with clearcoat (dull or gloss cote) or Microscale decal film/saver. Remember, if you're printing on clear paper, you'll have to prime the spot where any white will show up in your design. Conversely, it you have white decal paper, you'll have to carefully trim away all the white that's not supposed to be there.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:49 AM UTC
Hey guys,
There is a review of the Testors deal here:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/232

And another thread here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/17538&page=1

May have some of the info you are after...

HTH,

Shaun
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick response AJ. How much does the decal paper cost? And is it comparable in quality to the decals that come with most kits? Thanks for the links keenan.
 _GOTOTOP