_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Progress: Academy 1:72 A10A Thunderbolt
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Uploading these pics for your comments. This project is completely OOB. Gusto ko lang talaga makagawa ng matinong eroplano.

Cockpit with lower landing gear panel. I used modelling clay for weighing down this tail-sitter:

The cockpit soon after attaching to the port fuselage:

Putting both sides together. This angle makes the plane look huge. I really love my cam

Engine pod properly masked before attachmnt to the body

Cockpit shot:
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
Looking good so far. Nagawa ko na rin 'to di ko lang natapos Ingat ka lang sa nose cone medyo di ganun kaganda ang fit nya sa kit ko
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far. Nagawa ko na rin 'to di ko lang natapos Ingat ka lang sa nose cone medyo di ganun kaganda ang fit nya sa kit ko

Hindi rin maganda ang fit sa kit ko. I'll try to putty the most obvious "step" which, luckily enough, is underneath. The cannon takes attention away from the flaw most of the time.

I'll go for the conventional (and older) 3-tone olivedrab / darkgreen / grey combination for this kit.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:19 PM UTC
Not bad indeed! Buti naman naweigh mo sya. Tignan na lang natin pag nalagay mo yung gears kung tatayo pa yan. Be extra careful. Madali lang yang kit na yan actually, nakakatamad nga lang yung weapons nya. Sobrang dami eh. Anyways, goodluck!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
Also, ang pangit ng fit ng canopy nyan. I did mine open na lang since di ako ganon kagaling eh. Goodluck!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
shonen_red

Thanks for the tips! I've been looking for the plane's center-of gravity with a dry-fitted engine pod and fortunately it's still in front of the rear landing gear (meaning that the plane will stay nose down). I'm not sure if it will stay there when I add the 2 rudders though. Wish me luck.

I will NOT put the weapons on it, simply because the weapons have too deep ejector pin marks and are innacurate anyway. I also hate the fact that they omitted the ECM jammer pod and sidewinder racks! Although I have a spare rack and Sidewinders from my previous kits, I'll not bother. I will put the rest of the hardpoints though, and probably those little tanks (you think their small version fuel tanks but they're actually cargo space for bags, packages, etc.). Depends on my mood.

I've been trying my hand at sandless puttying with little success #:-) I still have to sand the thing with fine grit sandpaper to make it flat. It makes most of the seamlines go though, but unfortunately, not all. Badtrip.

I'll post pics next.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
No weapons! Ohhhh! Oh well, depends on your mood.

Tip Di naman importante panel lines right? Go get grit 250 or 400. Makes the model very rough and removes the panel lines but the seam lines are all gone. Then lower down the grit with 600, 800 and so on, until it becomes smooth. Clay might not work. Add some Bolitas or ball bearings to your clay. This will give an extra weight. Are you planning on getting the gears open or closed?
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 02:25 AM UTC
Errr... para sakin important yung panel lines. mas important pa sila kesa dun seam, in my opinion. Nirerescribe ko nga yung iba kong nabubura eh. The panel lines give character to an aircraft. Para sakin, kapag walang panel lines, mukhang laruan.

So far so good on the weight thingy naman eh. I'll look into bolitas (or other weights) once I confirm my fears.

Yup, no weapons. And yes, I'll do it open cockpit though I'm not too happy with the cockpit. The seat's downright ugly and bare.

Kung magkatrip ako I might even put RBF tags. Let's see #:-)
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
Posting pics here after some time, but there has been major progress.

Testing for the center of gravity of the plane, dryfitting with the gear. It works! The model is sprayed with white primer before airbrushing.

Masking for the camo. First time I did this, really, with moderate success Testors acrylics thinned with Johnson's 70% Isopropyl alcohol did the trick. I wonder how the latter will fare with Tamiya acryls.

Preliminary result of the paintjob. I'll redo the canopy part since the olive drab area is too small.

For a first time airbrush project, I think this turned out fine. Will post more pics as I go
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:07 AM UTC
and you always sound like a humble modeler! Hmph! great work man! *bow down* I like! I like! Post more pics!

It's great to see your hardwork(?) come into frutition.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:21 AM UTC
It's called boredom brought about by joblessness #:-)

This work is on hold for now though, because of the all important DLSU vs. ADMU game tomorrow!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
Looking good so far. I like the color scheme itself. I think you should use a soft camo rather than a hard one. But it looks just as fine as a soft one. Enjoy!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good so far. I like the color scheme itself. I think you should use a soft camo rather than a hard one. But it looks just as fine as a soft one. Enjoy!

I did my best to reproduce a soft demarcation but it proved futile for my spray can. Yes, I raised the pattern paper a bit.

I also thought that a very soft demarcation won't be accurate to scale. This is 1:72 anyway. So there
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2003 - 12:39 PM UTC
Nice work so far! I haven't tried Testor's Acrylics. 70% Johnson's or Green Cross isopropyl alcohol works fine on Tamiya Acrylics when mixed 1:1. You're right: soft demarcation won't be really visible in 1:72.

Good thing you have a painting box. My coffee table seems to get more camo everytime I paint

As for the game later...

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 02:33 AM UTC
Dude, will you still finish that as a single model? Try making a dio for it. If you need figures, meron sa STC Filinvest 1/72. I've seen three boxes by Fujimi, 1 is the carrier crew which I recently bought, the other one is the weapons loading crew and the last was the repair and maintenance crew. Just a suggestion. Enjoy!
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 10:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dude, will you still finish that as a single model? Try making a dio for it. If you need figures, meron sa STC Filinvest 1/72. I've seen three boxes by Fujimi, 1 is the carrier crew which I recently bought, the other one is the weapons loading crew and the last was the repair and maintenance crew. Just a suggestion. Enjoy!

Ayos, dagdag problema? #:-)

I'm thinking about making a base for this model, but that's about it, and I'm not sure if I'd do that anyway. Not a high quality enough model to pour money into, if you ask me. I'll do dioramas when I've got a better feel for the whole business
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:42 AM UTC
Looks very good Lattex! You work quite neatly (as opposed to my "organized chaos" and "controlled anarchy" of I&SW). Query: the control panels on the A-10 - decals?
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 07:34 PM UTC
Unfortunately the kit's instrument panel is represented by decals. They don't look nice but they're ok if you keep the canopy closed.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
The cockpit controls ARE bad. The decals aren't even properly printed. Recessed panel lines on the exterior are a relief however.

I'm going to finish the airbrushing later this day. I've been so busy the past week (clearing myself for an NBI clearance, medical checkups, and all that lousy stuff you need to get pre-employed in a government owned corporation) I wasn't even able to touch the model.

I'll finish it this week, hopefully, and then move on.

I'm thinking about making a 1:48 F-16A/C (lots of cheap kits of that one #:-) ) or a 1:48 F-14.

Oh well. One kit at a time
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:25 AM UTC
Tip: If you're still not satisfied with the cockpit, I suggest to paint the canopy with Tamiya smoke. This will hide the inside a little bit and it looks good as the canopies of real jet. You can't see much of the inside at a range. Get a closer look and you'll see the interior. I've used it in my F-22 but no pics yet. Need to finish it.
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC
Nah, I won't go with the smoke thing. Might just mess up things more!

I just finished the external paintjob and will do retouches tomorrow before finally closing the cockpit. I also opted to close the ladder hatch (poor ladder, alone on the sprue!) to go with the closed cockpit.

Decaling will be next, then final topcoating (I wonder where crismag is, need to know what he uses as flat coat) to wrap up this build (which left me wishing for more; it's practically a practice build).
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
Upon final fitting, I discovered that this thing was a tail-sitter after all, so desperate measures were taken. The ejection seat was removed exposing the gap to the rear part of the clay mound. Several lengths of soldering lead were melted into oblate lead bullions that fit the gap. These bullions were inserted into the fuselage and pushed onto the clay to stay put. It worked! Now the A-10 isn't a tail-sitter

Decaling's next #:-)
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:32 PM UTC
Okay, after nearly a month of not doing anything, I finally got around to decaling it. Though practically finished, my A10 is still too glossy and has to be flat coated (scary! ). We'll see how'd that turn out when I get to buy a flat coat.

As for now, this is how it turned out...

Pose top portside for the camera:

Pose top starboard for the camera:

Let the hog say cheese :-)

This thing needs a facial

Another pose. Note the number "143" on the gear door. I find THAT amusing

Funny A-10s have airliner engines dont you think?

That's all folks. Cooking something up next
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
That's one sexy bird.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 17, 2003 - 12:43 AM UTC
Sweet... mukhang ang modeling skills mo di pa rin nawawala as you have said. This looks very good. I personally like the camo pattern.
 _GOTOTOP