Hosted by Matt Leese
My needle is stuck help.
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 03:48 PM UTC
I'm trying to disarm my airbrush, but my needle is stuck somewhere in the middle. It's a Paasche VLS. Everything from the airbrush has been removed except for the needle and trigger of course. I fear I may have damaged my airbrush last time I was doing maintenance, the needle was having an uncharacteristically hard time going in, so I was a bit forceful. Before putting it away I checked for full motion and everything was fine. Today when I tried to use it, the needle wouldn't budge. When I try to strip it down is when I found out it was stuck in there. Has this happened to anyone before? Can I get some help?
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
Although this has never happened to me, I have heard of this problem from others. Apparently, no matter how thoroughly we try to clean an airbrush sometimes paint gathers around the rear seal (O-ring). Over time, this buildup can dry and will restrict the movement of the needle, often to the point of locking the needle in place. I would say the first thing to do is soak the body/needle of the airbrush in some type of solvent - specifically meant for the type of paints you use (acrylic, enamel, lacquer, etc). This hopefully will soften the dried paint enough to allow you to remove the needle by grabbing the its end with pliers and carefully pulling. There should not be anything mechanical that would interfere with the travel of the needle, so pulling straight out should not damage the needle. Then I would return the body to soak overnight, then follow your recommended cleaning process to help remove the debris. Also, check the needle for cleanliness.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Kirchoff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
For enamel and laquers, I would suggest MEK. For acrylics try windex. Let it soak for a few hours. This should break up any paint in the ab. If you must, and only as a final option, you can use a pair of pliers to gently pull the needle out. I have had to do this a few times with my Badger. Exercise extreme caution, when trying this.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
Are your AB perhaps all made in metal?

If you're almost sure about its cleaning, or the needle is bent or.....the problem could be caused by a thermal expansion...

I know, it sounds quite crazy, but if tollerances are strict, that could happen in mechanical tools, especilly when they work with any lubrication
If my theory is correct (...please don't laugh me:D ) ....try to keep your ab for a while in the fridge....Cold can contract metals parts, and maybe the needle will go out...

cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
Didn't even think of that Mauro. Although, I am pretty sure that all abs have plastic/teflon o-rings and bushings.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC
something similar happened to me - the needle got so stuck, the trigger didn't even move it.
here's what I did:
first, I made sure everything but the needle is 100% clean. then, i've put a drop or two of lacquer thinner on the needle, and let it dribble to the place the needle goes into the AB (where it was stuck) then VERY VERY VERY gently, I tapped the needle's end (not the sharp one!!!) against a wooden table. the vibrations and the thinner got it free eventually. as this may damage your needle and or AB be very gentle!!! moreover, i take NO responsibility for any damage what-so-ever that may occur from using this method!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
that's remotely possible but is possible.
And in my opinion if the thermal expansion has been big enough, also the o-rings and bushings can't avoid the needle clamping

Regarding the o-ring....Gendrok, are the o-rings of your AB made in teflon? If not, did you perhaps wash your tool with lacquer thinner?
Lacquer thinner doesn't dammage the tefolon o-ring but ruins the rubber ones.
A rubber o-ring washed with lacquer thinner it swells up. If you did this mistake maybe the o-rings swelled by the lacquer thinner, are blocking the needle now...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:48 AM UTC
I would suggest a Ultrasonic Cleaner for your airbrush and a review of one can be seen here
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC
I really appreciate all your help guys. I was finally able to get the needle out. Definetly it seems that paint built up inside the teflon packaging. Last time I used some future, and it looks like was definetely that. I used a very thin brush my wife uses for cleaning jewelery and I got some serious gunk out of there. I was finally able to use the brush. When I cleaned it, I stuck the brush in there again and sure enough I pulled out some of that fresh paint.
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

future needs to be cleaned with things that contains ammonia, like windex.

oooh there you go. Didn't know that. Used the pure alcohol I always use that works like a charm.
irish
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 170 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC
I recently purchased a Grex Airbrush, and the package insert warns against the use of Ammonia based products (Windex) for cleaning. There is a potential risk of corrosion to the metal. Is this true? I have used Windex to clean my Iwata airbrush for years without any problems.

Thanks,

Irish
 _GOTOTOP