TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
'the few'
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:54 AM UTC
ive been reading a lot about the film titled 'the few' in the newspapers lately.
in case you dont know its a film about the battle of britain starring tom cruise that is about to enter production.
it is supposed to be the story of an american airman in the eagle squadron during the battle of britain.
however i am deeply apprehensive of how this new film will probably turn out, if hollywood manages to pull its usual tricks. im sure this will be yet another big budget show case of how america won ww2 single handedly, as is usually portrayed in US war films.

dont get me wrong, i am deeply proud, and humbled by the fact that american pilots had such courage in thier convictions that they were prepared to ignore their countries political neutrality and come over to fight by the side of the thousands of british and commonwealth pilots who were fighting for the survival of my country.
but i believe it will be a great injustice to all the commonwealth, and US pilots who fought in the battle of britian, if this new film follows the hollywood trend of bending the truth to gain a bigger american audience.
i would love to know how americans feel about this matter, and please realise i am not having a dig at anyone with this topic, but i would really like to hear other peoples opinion on this
cheers
joe

JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 317 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:01 AM UTC
What the...?! You mean we DIDN"T win WW2 single handed? #:-)

I had heard there were a few russians and chinese and canadians...
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

i would love to know how americans feel about this matter, and please realise i am not having a dig at anyone with this topic, but i would really like to hear other peoples opinion on this

Well, I don't see how it's going to be an 'injustice' unless it's really bad and full of mistruths. There's nothing wrong with a film about the Eagle squadron and the men who served with it. It's not like the Battle of Britian has been ingnored. There have been some big budget films made about it.

Why should there be anything wrong with an American movie being made about Americans? After all, it will be funded by an American production company if it is made. It will make the majority of its box office from American viewers.

Eagle Squadron is pretty much a forgotten thing anyway, so it would be great to show Americans what these volunteers did. Plus, if it's done 'right' there's going to be plenty about the Brits anyway.

Actually, I was just thinkg about how great it would be to see a modern movie about 'The Few.' Imagine if it was done with the care of a Black Hawk Down or a Saving Private Ryan? Unfortunately, I don't expect that level of quality and can only hope it's not as bad as the recent Pearl Harbor.

Steve

PS - Have any of the previous British films mentioned or featured the American contributions?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
I'm also proud of the fact that American pilots, for various reasons, chose to enlist in the RAF or RCAF to fight for Britain. Unfortunately there are a lot of myths concerning the Eagle Squadron that hollywood could further exploit. One thing is that it fought in the Battle of Britain. The first actual Eagle Squadron wasn't formed until the very end of the generaly recognized dates of the battle. That's not to say Americans didn't fight in the battle, just that the units known as the Eagle Squadron didn't.

I'm really concerned that this will probably be another Pearl Harbor. What bugged me more than anything else about that movie was how it took advantage of all the advances in movie special effects and then wasted it with a historically inaccurate lame love story. The fact Tom Cruise is in it makes me even more concerned. I tend to like the actor but his films do tend to be one man shows. Also isn't he getting to be a bit old to play a WWII fighter pilot, most of which were in the early twenties?

Still I'll probably go see it, just to see some Spits and Hurris.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 12:51 AM UTC
Look, if this movie's gonna have Tom "Maverick" Cruise in it, think Top Gun in a Spitfire. Expect smilin' :-) Tom to flash his pearly :-) whites at the evil hun in the sun and blind him, allowing the smiling :-) one to nail him. Jeez, maybe he and the bad German pilot he's been fighting throughout the movie, and who shot down Tom's loyal wingman, who was shot when Tom was hot shotting , and whose wife then fall in love with Tom, will face off in shot up planes and finally jump out of the planes at each other body slamming at 20,000 feet, struggle in a death match before Tom pushes him away to Gerry's death. Tom opens his chute, lands atop the White Cliffs of Dover and walks away with the beautiful widow, while juggling whiskey bottles.
Whiskey
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 06:23 AM UTC
Wow. 13 smilies. Nice job lol.

Also, where can I find something about the movie on the net? I did a search for it but came up empty handed
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 09:53 AM UTC

Come on guys! Let's give the man some answers to his question. Can't we get a good discussion going here anymore?

I think Joe asked something interesting and deserves some consideration here!

Steve

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 10:14 AM UTC
Why should there be anything wrong with an American movie being made about Americans?

theres absolutely nothing wrong with that, and i dont think i implied there was.
what i meant was i believe that as is usually the case with us made war films, the truth may be bent and history rewritten by hollywood. which i definately think is wrong.
U-571 spings to mind as a prime example.
thanks for the replies

joe
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
Serious reply. If this is made by a US film company with a big name American movie star (I did not say actor), I would expect it to twist historical fact to meet the box office needs. There will be an overblown love story (see Pearl Harbor , whiz bang special effects (any modern action movie, and total focus on the American saving the day. SO given recent movies, don't expect much in the way of accuracy to history. There'll be a lot of way cool SPFX, but given if Tom Cruise is the lead with no major actor (like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman, I wouldn't expect much from this. That plus our current jingoistic fervor, can only lead to soem stlted movie making.

Our saving the day has become a part of our own mythology. WE see ourselves as having pulled Europes stnes from the fire in both World Wars. I'm venturing into politics here, so forgive me and edit if need be. One of the arguments made whn France did not support he war in Iraq was that we saved them in WWII . Given that the French were allowed to fall and were occupied for four years before being liberated says volumes. I believe we liberated France because it was a stepping stone to the German homeland.

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

U-571 spings to mind as a prime example.

U-571 was a ficticious event based on real events, so I guess we have to take that into consideration. (Not an excuse.)

We don't know what a future Eagle Squadron movie would involve. Maybe some ficticious mission where Tom Cruise has to bomb a super secret German weapon that could mean certain doom for the Brits if he's not succesfull. Blah, blah, blah.

I thought U-571 was pretty much garbage, considering I love the U-boat saga of WWII, and was kind of pissed myself that it seemed to neglect the fact that most of the Battle of the Atlantic was fought by the Brits and much of that breaking codes on dry land!

Steve