_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tamiya vs 3M Acryl Putty
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 297 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC
When things don't fit I use Gator Glue or Mr. Surfacer whenever possible for minor repair: dries fast, does the job. For something ugly I've been using Aves Apoxy Sculpt which is terrific stuff but takes hours to cure. So I bought some Tamiya putty for those "in between" seams etc and find it superior to other modeling puttys I've used. On one of the Group Builds someone brought up 3M Acryl-White Putty. Available in auto or marine repair places, this stuff has received very good notice. According to 3M the White variety is very slow drying: Green, however, is ready within 15 minutes. Has anyone used 3M stuff, preferable someone who has also tried Tamiya? I've got an Emher WWI tank and an ICM Konig at the top of the build list and I might need to fill holes.

Eric
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
I occasionally used the automotive stuff for my models. It is comprable to Squadron white putty, which I've heard is about the same as Tamiya white putty.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,794 Posts
KitMaker Network: 304 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
I've used the 3M stuff and although pretty good I still prefer Tamiya's grey putty. It just too darn good.

Rob
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 297 Posts
KitMaker Network: 32 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 08:05 PM UTC
Thankee for the response. It may be that quick drying putty doesn't have great differences. If so, not buying 3M saved me $20. I do think, however, that Tamiya is a better product than Squadron - spreads out better which means you get a thinner coat. Major uglies do need Aves - it's not really putty. Think of something closer to acrylic sculpting paste. Long working time and water soluble. I used it for Zimmerit once (my one and only hand applied Zim I'm sure) and was able to remove a whole coating 24 hours after application without harming the plastic underneath. Can't say that my second try was that much better (first one was too thick and badly out of scale) but it was an improvement. With a good "rake" I think the stuff would be good for Zim. It's very good for big seams.
Eric
 _GOTOTOP