_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Vallejo matt varnish
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hi all,

just got my self the vallejo matt varnish (26.518).
Can it be airbrush? Can it be thinned? If it can be thinned, will water works or we have to thin the with the vallejo thinner?

Zaidi
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi Zaidi

I would take it that 26.518 is just the same as their other Matt Varnish. At present i am using Vallejo Model Color Matt Varnish 520. It goes through my airbrush just fine as is, as for thinning I used water with a bit of windowscreen washer liquid and have had no problems to date.

cheers
David
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Vallejo 26518 is the same as 520, just a bigger bottle (60ml vs 17ml) and I am going to have to inquire with my supplier if they can bring it in, Matt especially would be very advantageous in this size.

While you can thin it....it probably doesn't need it, as the matt, gloss and semi-matt can be sprayed straight from the bottle. If you do need to thin it a bit....use either Vallejo's own thinner, or distilled water.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 12:39 PM UTC
Thanks David and Scott.... if that the case, i will airbrush it... never knew it was the same varnish...i thought it was new formula or something....

Zaidi
kreker
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:55 AM UTC
Hi, guys!
hope, you can help me. I described my problem on many Russian forums, but didn`t find any solution. the problem is my vallejo matt varnish(70.520) adds a white shade, when it dries. I tried to use different water, vallejo`s thinner, varied the pressure for my airbrush, tried different distances from airbtush to the model. but the problem is still unresolved.
thanks, Igor.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:24 AM UTC
Are you shaking your Matt Varnish before you use it? As the matt can separate from the carrier and cause this. I can't say as I have ever had this problem.....it does go on slightly milky, but always dries clear.
kreker
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 11:01 AM UTC
sure, I tried to shake it, but the result was the same. then I`ve bought a new varnish the problem was the same
D_J_W
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
entire network: 436 Posts
KitMaker Network: 64 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi Ihor,

is it Matt Varnish or Matt Medium ? Varnish is made to be used by itself as a sealing coat, where as Mediun is made to be mixed with paint to give a matt finish. I have had similar problems with Vallejo Matt Varnish, what I found was that I was spraying it on to thick, once I thinned it a bit and applied several thin coats, the problem was solved.

Hope that is of some help.

cheers
David
kreker
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:47 PM UTC
no, the layer thickness doesn`t change anything in my case. I tried to apply the thickest layers and they were still loking frosty. it`s a bit discouraging. the result with other matt varnishes was the same. actually, I need a matt finish for figures only, because vallejo model color dry to a glossy finish in most cases. I tried adding matt varnish to a paint mixture, but the finish was glossy too. maybe, I should try Matt medium, but have a lot of doubts
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hi Ihor

How much time have you waited between the first and second paint coat?

Probably you should spray a first thin coat, wait untill it's well cured and then spray a second thin coat.

In my humble opinion you should wait at least 2 or 3 hours (...or more. The longer you wait the better is) between the first and the second coat. After a short time paint seems to be dry but actually only the first layer of it is cured. Under layers are still fresh and that can create a mess

Just my opinion anyway

Have a good luck
kreker
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:19 AM UTC
Mauro,
I tried to do this, but even the fist thick layer looked frosty. the other thing is that I used this varnish before on the other model and had no problems. I didn`t use to control the layer thickness, pressure rate, or dilution of the paint, I just sprayed the varnish and achieved very good result. I can`t understand what happened=
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mauro,
I tried to do this, but even the fist thick layer looked frosty. the other thing is that I used this varnish before on the other model and had no problems. I didn`t use to control the layer thickness, pressure rate, or dilution of the paint, I just sprayed the varnish and achieved very good result. I can`t understand what happened=

neither do I

It looks like the problem which i had when I used to hand paint Humbrol matt varnish... It looked frosty because paint was too thick

If you have shook up well the paint, if you've diluted in the right way, if you have spraied thin coats it wouldn't be any problems...

They have perhaps changed the chemical composition?
kreker
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 08:08 AM UTC
Looks like I`ve made some success. I tried to add some gloss varnish to the matt one. I started with matt:gloss 2:1 proportion, and it seemed to be too shiny. fine result was achieved with 4:1-5:1 proportion. 2-3 coats were enough to make make cloth look realistic. and I didn`t wait for 4 hours between the coats. just 20-60 seconds
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need a matt finish for figures only, because vallejo model color dry to a glossy finish in most cases

I have never had this happen, with the exception of Glossy Black and Glossy White, any color I have used comes out a Satin to Matt finish.

Sorry can't be any help with the Matt Varnish....has never happened to me, and I find that the Vallejo is one of the best out there. Just wish my suppliers would carry a larger bottle of it, as all I can get from them is the 17ml bottles. Even just a 60ml would be a great size.
 _GOTOTOP