Hosted by Matt Leese
Best Airbrush for<$350??
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 10:18 PM UTC
I am looking at buying a new airbrush. I know that Iwata is the best, but am not sure of the best brush I can get for $300. Any help would be appreciated.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
hi Matt

If I was to choose a starting airbrush over again I'd go with the Badger Patriot 105, its a gravity feed version of the 155 anthem airbrushs..

I also really like my Badger Renegade Velocity... has a much smaller needle, .21mm, so really needs a little experience esp for thinning...

later
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2011 - 11:45 PM UTC
Two points.
If you buy locally check out Hobby Lobby or Michaels or AC Moore they always have coupons running and you'll save some money with those.

For which I recommend : read this
Feature
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 - 12:43 AM UTC
I've been using a Badger 150 for two years, now. I used a knock-off for about six months. I know I want gravity fead.
Delbert, thanks for the link, but they don't sell abs.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2011 - 05:05 PM UTC
Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2n1....under $300, smaller needle than what Iwata has to offer. Better airbrush overall.

Those were done when I first got the airbrush, Tamiya mixed 50/50 by eye, and whatever the compressor was set at. Play around with the thinning ratio and the airpressure and you can get the lines down even finer.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
Yes, but like I said, I did those myself, IE not a professional, and was just some tamiya paint and thinner thrown in the airbrush to try it out, not really concerned with paint ratio and airpressure, which DOES have alot to do with how the lines will come out. In the hands of someone that can really put the airbrush through it's paces, I am sure it will show lines as good as the Iwata and will even surpass it.

Fact of the matter, the H&S Infinity has a smaller needle (0.15mm vs 0.18mm in the Iwata), will do what the Iwata will do, just better, and is quite a bit less expensive. And comes with more options for that less expensive price than the Iwata.

Iwata WAS the class to match....just happens that they have me their match and then some!!
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The CM series has a match head system that really improves consistency of atomization. This is not employed on this level of H&S, and therefore although I didn't have direct experience with the H&S, intuition tells me it is not quite in the class.

Ummmm, yeah, the Infinity does have a matched head system, not sure where you are getting your info from, or what level you think the Infinity is on, but it is in the class of the Micron series that Iwata produces, and I dare say better.

I have sprayed Tamiya, MM enamels and acrylics, Tamiya and Testors spray lacquers, Vallejo Primers, Vallejo Model color and Air color, Createx, Black Gold, as well as some lesser known specialized automotive paint through mine with, and it sprays them all with no ill effects with the .15mm needle and head (something that the Iwata doesn't have at only .18mm).

I have sold many Infinities to graphic artists that used to use a Micron, and have yet to have someone come back and say that the Iwata was better, all preferring the Infinity over the Iwata by a wide margin. The less expensive price helps also.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 11:51 PM UTC
Hey guys. I have decided to go with the Badger Renegade Velocity gravity-fed. Only costs around $120 and is precise enough for the price. Thanks Delbert.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

1. no mentioning of match head
http://www.germanairbrush.com/infinity126543.html

2. part list has the head pieces listed in different serials,and the parts are sold individually, not in sets.
http://www.harder-airbrush.de/english/download/Infinity_engl.pdf

There's nothing advertised indicates the 2in1 has a match head system. On top of that, it has a integrated dual output system, probably prevented matching and simultaneous adjustments of all the components.

This is not a new debate, and I'm not trying to push for one or the other.
just fruit for thoughts:
http://www.kustomkulturelounge.com/forum/showthread.php?26324-WHich-Airbrush-For-Fine-Detail

Just because it isn't "advertised" as such, doesn't mean it isn't.

Also, just because it doesn't show a "set" in the break down of the parts, doesn't mean you can't buy it as a set. H&S will sell individual parts, a complete head unit, as well as a complete head unit with matching needle.

One only has to look as far as their parts lineup on their website, but even that doesn't show everything they have to offer.

http://germanairbrush.com/accessories_harder.html
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
You guys keep going. I'm enjoying this thread.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 01:22 PM UTC
hey matt

just so you know with the Velocity you will have to thin your paints pretty good because of the .21mm needle.. and the spray pattern is not all that wide... I noticed that it took a little more work to airbrush an aircraft with it than with my older Badger 360.... but I really like how it atomized the paint and how easier it is to do camo with it..

check out my 1/72 tiger in 3 tone camo ..

check out my 1/72 tiger in 3 tone camo .. did it all with the velocity...

I'm thinking of getting the .33 mm fine needle/nozzle parts from the Rage to make basecoats a little easier but i don't really know if I need em.. LOL. just like to experiment with the airbrushs..

I like the velocity mainly because its so easy to use and clean up...

my 2 cents worth
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC
I already have a Badger 150. I only have the large needle and tip left. Will probably buy a medium, but was never happy with the fine tip.
 _GOTOTOP