_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
1/35 vs 1/32
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 10:52 PM UTC
I am looking at getting some new items for two dios I am planning. The first is a group of german motorcycle troops stopped in a town. to differ from the norm I was going to find different vehicles to break up all the greys. Would a 1/32 car look disproportionate in amongst troops and bikes?
The second will have a famo and an aeroplane, I am not so worried about this but a 1/32 plane would look ok?
I don't intend to use any figures from either set so that should be ok. Even though they say 1/32 does any make come up larger than others?

many thanks
Robbo
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 02:01 AM UTC
Mixing 1/32 and 1/35 is not an issue since they are really close. I have mixed 1/32 cars and aircraft with 1/35 armor many times. You can also mix the figures. This is not an issue since pople come in all sizes as well. The key to making it convincing is to keep constant-sized items (weapons, canteens, etc,) in the same scale. For example, if you have a 1/32 US WWII figure and a 1/35 WWII US figure, both their M1 Garands should be either 1/32 or both in 1/35. If you left each with a weapon from their respective scale, the two Garands would be different sizes when they should be identicle.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
Gino has it right - it would look pretty odd indeed for one guy's Garand to be larger than another's!

There is yet another aspect of the mix-and-match biz... specially so for things like weapons and personal gear -

I recently was reminded of this when I combined some Tamiya and Dragon German stuff as personal load on a build... the stuff - helmets, kit, Kar98, mp-40, stick grenades - all differed wildly between the companies in size, dimensions, details - and also between editions and age of kits. In the end, I found that stuff differed so much that I went and replaced all the miscelaneous gear with pieces sourced from one maker and one "age" of kits (in this case, Dragon Gen-2 German kits).

Sort of a "moral to the story": IF like "small" items can be easily compared in a build, use stuff from one source!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP