History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Teller and Riefenstahl
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC

It amazes me how little I have heard about the deaths of these two people.

OK, Leni Riefenstahl may in some ways be a minor figure but certainly of interest to historians or anyone interested in culture. What was she 101? Amazing. There's a great documentary, 'The wonderful horrible life of Leni Riefenstahl', that you guys should see if you get a chance.

On the other hand, its hard to imagine someone who has had more of an impact on the world and our lives than Edward Teller. And I heard almost zero about him.

It amazes me that we pay so much attention to a clelebrity dying (and I like the person in question, don't get me wrong) but we hear next to nothing about these people.

I hope we are not all getting that dumb.

Steve

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC
I don't think we are getting "dumb" but the mainstream media does what sells papers and air time. A lot more people will watch the "60 Minutes" tribute to Johhn Cash than ever would have watched one about Teller or Leni Riefenstahl. Some internet news/opinion sites had good articles about both of them. (National Review Online and The Wall Street Journal) But, I have to agree with you, most people found John Ritter dying more "/newsworthy" than the passing of the father of the atomic age. Go figure...

Nice topic, BTW.

Shaun
shootER5
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:12 PM UTC
I was fortunate enough to meet Teller and shoot an interview with him at a symposium in 1995.

Despite his age, he was still an impressive figure.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 12:21 PM UTC
Hey, Leni is a pretty lady considering her age!

~Chip
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2003 - 04:51 PM UTC
Keep in mind the lifestyle of most Americans. TV "couch potatoe". Get home from work and the first thing that happens is the TV comes on and stays on until it's time for bed. I wouldn't go so far as saying how pathetic that is because that is their individual choice. 15 years ago, how many had a clue who Josha Lawrence Chamberlain was? Now, you here so much more about him from peple who are not Civil War HIstorians. Times change as do interests. To be honest, I never heard of either of these two people. I have a Masters in HIstory and read several books a month and have a passion for military History (WW2 and Civil War)
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To be honest, I never heard of either of these two people. I have a Masters in HIstory and read several books a month and have a passion for military History (WW2 and Civil War)

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard these names before. If you have a passion for WW2 certainly you have seen parts, if not all, of Triumph of the Will? This was directed by Riefenstahl, who many still claim to have been a mistress of Hitler. She also filmed a movie that featured the flying of Earnst Udet.

You should certainly try to read something about Teller though. I'm a very suprised you would not be familiar with him from school.

Do you read mostly books about weapons and battles? Or do you try to read about the politics too (maybe not as exciting but most important!)

Steve

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To be honest, I never heard of either of these two people. I have a Masters in HIstory and read several books a month and have a passion for military History (WW2 and Civil War)

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard these names before. If you have a passion for WW2 certainly you have seen parts, if not all, of Triumph of the Will? This was directed by Riefenstahl, who many still claim to have been a mistress of Hitler. She also filmed a movie that featured the flying of Earnst Udet.

You should certainly try to read something about Teller though. I'm a very suprised you would not be familiar with him from school.

Do you read mostly books about weapons and battles? Or do you try to read about the politics too (maybe not as exciting but most important!)

Steve

Can you tell us where you received your Masters? Watch "Triumph of the Will." Impressive even in black and white. When it came out people were still in the depth of the world wide depression. They were seeking a solution to alleviate their misery. The political and economic "relief" wrought by Mussolini and Hitler were exploited by this film. In it, people are in "love" with Adolph. So if you in despair, things would look pretty good to you in Germany. Truly a monumental piece of effective propaganda. Amazing.
DJ