_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best One Stop Shop?
shooterman
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi,

I need to pick up quite a few bits and pieces (aftermarket details, tools, paints, glues, some books and a couple of AFV and figure kits).

Are there any good online shops with comprehensive stock?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
Greatmodels has a fantastic search engine which will direct you to all the AM stuff available for a given kitsometimes slow shipping,but great prices.Spruebrothers has fantastic service and super fast shipping,maybe a couple of bucks more then greatmodels in somethings.I also endorse Freetimehobbies.But it is hard to find everythig at one place,but these places are a good start.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 12:58 PM UTC
I have been REALLY happy with Spruebrothers. Both their inventory and their customer service. They actually have people working for them that think, and that can make all the difference.
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 02:20 PM UTC
Greatmodels is my choice. I used to order from them online, then I discovered their wherehouse is open to the public (they are based in Utah where I live.) They have tons of great stuff. If you watch their sales you can usually pick up some things for really good prices as well. The people that work there are always nice and very helpful as well.
mcevoyi
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 198 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
well gents
i live in the south west of the uk .. and my only good retailer with eveything i want
is

ebay .....

and its so sad to say that as 10 years ago a had a good few shops around me .. no i have just 1 amd that a 60 mile round trip
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
I would recomend either Hobbyeasy or Spruebrothers. Redfroghobbies is another good one. Greatmodels has a huge selection, but is out of stock on most of its products.
13M201182
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 164 Posts
KitMaker Network: 34 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 01:23 PM UTC
Sprue Brothers is an awesome on line shop!! He hs great prices, and, at least with me, shipping has been outstanding! There have been times I've ordered something on a Monday and it was waiting for me on when I came on a aWednesday. And personally, he is a great guy, he answers alot of emails. Just my 2 cents.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 05:14 PM UTC
Spure Brothers gets my vote from the other side of the pond, fast delivery and always an email to let you know what happening - great customer service.
Keeperofsouls2099
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 2,798 Posts
KitMaker Network: 286 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 03:11 PM UTC
Usually sprue brothers is the only place I order from haven't had a problem ever and Ive been using them for years
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

well gents
i live in the south west of the uk .. and my only good retailer with eveything i want
is

ebay .....

and its so sad to say that as 10 years ago a had a good few shops around me .. no i have just 1 amd that a 60 mile round trip

how about hannants or modelsforsale ? both in the uk.

paul
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 448 Posts
KitMaker Network: 38 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
One more for Spruebrothers. Excellent international service.

Cheers

Jeff
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC
You are looking for the holy grail. I don't think that there is one shop that is the be all and end all out there, The ones I use the most are Lucky Models and Hobby Easy both have great prices on kits and after market items with resonable shipping rates ( it seems to be cheaper to ship from Hong Kong to Canada than from the US to Canada) but that is out of the control of the hobby shops. And I have no idea what the shipping would set you back on that side of the pond.

Some of the other shops I have been very happy with are Sprue Brothers (the real time inventory is great), Hobby Link Japan, and The Barrel Store here in Canada.

Regards,

Rod
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 01:13 PM UTC
I like Great Models for its search engine and the fact that links to kit reviews are often provided, but I want to add a second vote for redfroghobbies. Excellent service on the occasions when I've needed to call and talk to someone and items ship quickly.
 _GOTOTOP