_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Selling finished models
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC
I know this topic has been covered before, but I'd like to hear about people's experiences selling finished models on ebay. Is there a demand for finished models? Mine aren't professional grade and I would never present them as such, but not every potential buyer needs a musuem piece. Even a modest offer on a model would defray the ongoing costs of modeling ... which would win me points with the wife.
Krowa_
Visit this Community
Województwo Gdanskie, Poland
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 02:36 AM UTC
I suggest checking e-bay
Sometimes I was really surprised how expensive some finished models were.

As for your question, I know at least one modeller here in Poland who works full-time making models for sale. However, I wouldnt change my boring behind-the-desk job for that

BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
Thanks, Marek. I did check ebay and it doesn't seem like there's much out there ... unless I haven't found the magic combination of search terms. Maybe it's not worth the effort ... there's always the ol' garbage can.
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 04:40 AM UTC
Bill, here is an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160430433160

The work you have posted on this site looks professional to me and you could easily market it as such, but for the love of God man don't throw anything away!!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
Bill:

I've never sold hardly anything, let alone a built model, so I have no experience to speak from in this regard...

But, one does see many built models popping up for sale on the evil-bay, and most (even - way far different from your work - some rather mediocre-looking things) appear to get sold. Not for a lot of dough, but more than the kit cost.

Looking at my ever-growing stash-pile and the limited shelf-space (but wait! Hey - I'm going to retire in a few years and re-locate... hmmm. maybe I can FIX that shelf-space problem...! And SWMBO might jist lift off like an ICBM...), I can see how some might consider selling their treasures. It does seem that you could pay for additional kits and stuff to build more! But probably not the way to fame and fortune.

But perish the thought of the trash-can, please! That's just all wrong-sounding!

Bob
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 07:00 AM UTC
Brandon - Thanks for the kind words, but I'm far from a pro. At the moment, I'm happy just to see improvement from one build to the next.

Bob - I'm not too attached to what I make. I'd probably keep a model for a while before selling it, but then I'd have no problem parting with it. In fact, this is what one top modeler suggested I do ... get rid of what I make so it doesn't cloud my thinking on my next build. Don't fear the can!
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 08:29 AM UTC
Has anyone ever tried selling finished kits in the buy/sell forum on this site? Or would that be an opening to have your work blasted in an open forum?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
I thought I saw someone post something like that once and get chased off. Probably not the best place to try sell models, although if you're honest about what you're selling (i.e. not puffing yourself up) I don't see the problem.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:08 AM UTC
People finish models?
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 08:21 AM UTC
I sold one once on Ebay AFVclub 1/48th Tiger late, got what I paid for the kit Iwas happy with that helped to buy the next one.
 _GOTOTOP