_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Using nail polish remover to smooth out putty
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC
Couple questions about using nail polish remover with squadron green putty and Mr. Dissolved Putty:

1. Does nail polish remover work with both of these products?
2. Does it damage the surrounding plastic?
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 05:17 AM UTC
I honestly don't know about those products Bill, I know about Squadron white, but not green. I've seen people make figures out the green stuff. The nail polish remover is to dissolve it, and it applies a lot like a thick paint, so by it's name, I imagine the Mr. Disolved is already disolved. Just make sure the acetone is pure, without fragrance, and not to over use it, the plastic should be safe.
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 199 Posts
KitMaker Network: 48 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 07:33 AM UTC
Bill, I use nail polish remover with the Squadron green putty. I find it works best if I thin the putty with acetone before applying it to the model, then using the q-tip dipped in acetone to remove the excess.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC
Brandon - I didn't realize you could thin the green putty with acetone / nail polish remover. And here I was wasting liquid model glue. Do you wait at all before running the Q-tip over the seam or is it best to do it immediately?

Thanks to you both for the input.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 05:08 PM UTC
No need to wait, go ahead and wipe off the excess as soon as you're done applying it to the seam. One of my favorite methods for seam filling

I wouldn't bother mixing it into Mr. Dissolved Putty, but you can dip a q-tip in some acetone and use it to wipe off the excess.
 _GOTOTOP