_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Testor's glue applicator.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi. This may not be new to folks out there, but I'm so impressed with it I thought I would pass it along.

I was up to the local hobby shop this morning getting another bottle of liquid glue after spilling the lastest one. I had even put this bottle inside a wooden block so it wouldn't be so apt to tip over on the shelf I model on. But, of course, this doesn't help if you are so klutzy that you knock the whole bottle, block and all, off on the floor. This applicator is plastic and is sort of triangluar in shape. It has a needle type of applicator on one end and when you tip it up the glue comes out one drop at a time just where you want it to go. It also has a wire or two with the bottle that lets you clean out any glue that happens to get dried up in this needle thing. It comes in a 1 oz. size and is black.

It stinks like crap so it has to be good stuff. Ha! Anyway I was so impressed with it that I thought I would write here on it in case others haven't tried it yet and are as unco-ordinated as myself on the workbench. It costs a little more than the glass bottle appicator, but if you're prone to spilling the glass bottle anyway, think that this will be cheaper in the long run. I know it will be for me anyway.

Take care, sgirty
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC
I've been using it for years. Even before they had this I had a small plastic bottle with a similar tip that I put my liquid cement in. You don't have as much control as you do with a brush type applicator but it is much easier to use IMHO, YMMV.
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 208 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
That sounds good I might just get myself one ...spilling liquid glue...I have spilled my Ambroid Pro weld liquid glue SOOO many times can't seem to keep the darn bottle upright lol.

Matt
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 12:51 PM UTC
I just bought my first bottle of the Testors cements in the black plastic bottle. I agree, it stinks. But, my thoery is if it hasn't been found to cause cancer in the state of California, it isn't worth using. Anyway, I like it too. I haven't had the spillage problems with the clear bottle and will continue to use it but as I understand it the stuff in the black bottle is great for assembling Dragon indy track links. (There is an acticle on this sight that references the black bottle glue.)

Shaun
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
Larry, I picked up the Testors Non Toxic cement last week and I've really liked it. It has an Orange smell, that is strong but no where NEAR as bad as regular cement. One thing I found is when I tried to cut off the end, according to directions, but I had to cut off more than they said I too. There seemed to be an orange plug further down the tube I had to use a drill bit to go through. Because of this I think more glue is coming out that it should. Did you find this? I'm still happy with the results though. One thing is it seems you have to hold pieces together longer with the non toxic stuff but that is a small price to pay for not having headaches anymore.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:18 PM UTC
As far as spilling goes, the best bottle for me has been the Tamiya square bottle. However, I mostly use Testors. I do like the new containers, but, I find I have better control of glue application using a fine brush. I have often wondered if it is the smell of the glue we are addicted to or the feel of the plastic of a new kit. Ponder, ponder ( oops, spilled it again. DARN)
capnjock
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi. Have been using this new applicator for the last couple of days and I'm sure glad I was talked into getting it at the hobby store. It really works find. But like another poster has said, in some cases I do prefer the bottle and brush method over this type. This black triangular container is kind of in between the tube stuff and the brush types I would have to say, for me. Think I will go ahead and get another bottle of the bush-on type next time I'm at the hobby store and epoxy the d#$^%%# thing to the wall at the back of the work bench. Ha, ha! This would be the only sure cure for the spillage problem for me I'm afraid.

Take care, sgirty
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:26 PM UTC
The glass bottle with brush aplicator is very good to large parts and surfaces but the testors applicator is safer for spilling and also very good with smaller parts and hard to reach points that you wanna stivk a piece from nowhere. so thats good to have both of them i think .
 _GOTOTOP