_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How to remove smoke/fire smell from books??
Ragnar2004
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,
I recently acquired a book I have been seeking for quite awhile. Problem is the book has a smoky , as in a fire smoke not cigarette smoke, smell to many pages. Is there a way to help remove the smell without damaging the pages. The books is a bit rare and hence I cannot do anything to damage it or afford to take it anywhere. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Best,

Walter
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hey Walter, I had a fire awhile ago and faced the same problem. I sprinkled talcum powder through out the books and let them sit a few months, then shook and wiped them out with one of those terry cloths. Did a pretty good job getting rid of that nasty smell. It works pretty good for that damp musty smell also. Just make sure the binding is in good shape before you shake them.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
You can also place it with the pages open in an empty bedroom or someplace where it won't be disturbed with some newspapers in between the pages. It will help draw out the smell. I put some on a shelf in my garage for a month or so to rid them of cigarette smoke and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps. "Q"
Ragnar2004
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 213 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 11:59 AM UTC
Hello,
Thank you Bob and "Q". Good tips there. I will give them a whirl and see. Thanks again.

Best,

Walter
 _GOTOTOP