_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
3D printing - in our lifetime?
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 11:19 PM UTC
Hi all,

3D printing has been in and out of the news for a couple of years, this article highlighted its application in a less industrial context - offering the tantalising idea that one day they may become household items.

When I first saw this idea my mind was buzzing with all the hobby modelling possibilities it offered.

If you had one in your home right now - what would you do with it? How do you think it would transform our hobby?

Cheers

A
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC
I think that it will fill a very small niche untill the software to design your parts becomes very easy to use.
It looks like it may from the BBC article.

I've used it and it is amazing stuff. The design and creation of the input file to produce the part was pretty intense and the cost of making a mistake is pretty high.

I do see a place of it now and a growing place as things get cheaper and easier.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC
I'd be happy with a plastic extruder. The extruder costs about the same as a 3D printing machine and all you need is to take some CAD classes to use the software. Of course, you can always take it to the next level and purchase a CNC machine or lathe. Both of these run under the $500 mark and again only need a basic knowledge of how the programming works. I actually worked with both while I was employed at a trophy shop.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
designing your own parts / kit is just one side of it. the biggest transformation to the hobby from this technology would be (in my opinion) that you could buy a kit, and have it printed right away in your home - no need to wait for the post to arrive. what's more, have a faulty part? no problem - just mail the company and get it printed instantly.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC
Interesting responses. My chief thought was that it'd be great for mass-producing parts - say road wheels or track-links - stuff that in the past would have been prohibitively labour-intensive for the home-moddeller.

That said I love the idea of purchasing a design from a commercial company and then printing your own model - that really could revolutionise the industry!

But yes - I take the point raised that mastering the art of digitally rendering your subject to a high enough standard would be a major pastime in itself.

Unless perhaps there was a way of scanning a real-life object - ie you make one track-link in the conventional way - and translate that into a set of instructions for your printer....?

Cheers

A
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
You would need a 3D microscope to scan a model. Last time I checked, you could pick one up for about $150k.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 02:28 PM UTC
Technology like this only gets more affordable, easier to use, and more capable over time. I was taking some classes in 3D modeling where we were going to get a device that scans your clay model and renders it into 3D, and another device that prints your 3D model into a sand sculpture. I think that CAD may become all encompassing if it keeps going down the road it has been.
It would be cool to download kits and have them printed at home. There are drawbacks such as having to have a supply of casting material, necessary machinery and software which also cost money and take up space, and may pose certain health risks depending on what's implemented.
I look forward to the possibilities regardless
 _GOTOTOP