_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
New To WW2 Armor Modeling
xCrAnkDatx420
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 11:12 PM UTC
So my name is Kevin and i am completely new to WW2 Modeling. My uncle has been modeling ever since i can remember and i think he is what sparked my interest in WW2 history. Right now i am building a Panther Ausf. A, and i pretty much suck, cause i dont have all the proper tools / equipment / knowhow. The kit is only $20 so im not worried about the end product, its mostly for practice. But i am open to constructive critisism and will upload pics as i can. Before we even start to critisize though , i'd like to point out that i do not own an airbrush (yet) and have hand painted the bottom half of the hull and the road wheels (it looks sh****) but i will be purchasing an airbrush within the upcoming week. Any suggestions on a airbrush that i can use in the Barracks? (indoor safe but still cheap)
mockba
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
First of all, welcome to the club. I assume you are in the service. Always get the best detail from the military. Now. I would recomend you stay pretty basic with Revell, to start. These models are fairly cheap and will allow you to hone your skills. As far as using an airbrush inside, you will need a spray booth and somewhere to run a vent hose. Iwata makes some of the best airbrushes. I currently have a Badger 150 and very few problems. You can buy a starter set from Testors/Aztech. This includes the airbrush, fittings, hose, a propellant and will run you about $30. If you want to run a compressor, there are several hobby compressors available. Again, I use an old Badger compressor and it is very quiet.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
Welcome. It's always good to see a new face. Hopefully, you will like the forum. I look forward to learning from your techniques as they evolve. There are several threads on how to make your own tools. Like DaVinci said, "The artist who doesn't make his own tools is no artist."
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the site... I find WWII model building to be a very interesting time period.

As for airbrush's, without a vented spray booth, its not all that good to use one inside.

Before I had my booth, I sprayed outside when the weather and temp permitted, I set a cardboard box on a small plastic outdoor table.. (kept the open side where I painted the model on the downwind side) I'd use the box once or twice and get a new one.. have to wear a painted respirator thought because the fumes will blow back..

Also just a note, Compressors sold as "hobby" compressors are fairly expensive... If you have a harbor freight tools nearby check them out, they have a 1/8 hp small compressor that is affordable and works well.. I have one of them and a "silentair hobby compressor" and I use the cheaper one mostly.

For an airbrush, I'd recommend a Badger 105 Patriot. Its a remake of the Badger Anthem as a gravity feed brush and is a good airbrush for someone new to it.

I started out working with the aztek airbrush's and cans of air but until I got a badger I was never happy with my results..

Delbert
xCrAnkDatx420
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 11:21 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies... i ended up buying a $30 brush with a propellent.. it did what i needed without much complaints.. i just need to master the mixing of the paint and thinner now haha.... what i did was try and stay at a 1:1 ratio or close to it...
 _GOTOTOP