_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Making cloaks from toiletpaper
PaulsBods
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 522 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC
Iīm not sure this should go here, so if itīs not right then sorry.
I came up with the technique after wasting lotīs of precious grrenstuff and getting in a mess trying to create wafer thin sheets which never really worked
http://paulsbods.blogspot.com/2011/04/cloaks.html
I suppose the technique would work on larger scales, Iīve not tried as of yet.
Cheers
paul
PunyViking
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
entire network: 94 Posts
KitMaker Network: 42 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 11:19 PM UTC
Smart technique! Can you please post some pictures of the finished figure with a tissue-cloak?

You also write that you drip superglue on the cloak, but in the last picture it looks like you are dripping liquid plasticglue?
PaulsBods
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 522 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 02:12 AM UTC
Thanks Kjell
I call it super glue..but yeh, itīs pattex liquid glue. The woodglue is more or less there to hold the toiletpaper in place and help form the cloak. The "superglue" is ti cover the very thin areas that are not already covered with the woodglue and to make the paper solid and capable of taking paint later.
Iīve used this technique for mounted figs where the cloak will spill over the horse. As I donīt like painting riders when they are mounted , I can remove them when the glue has dried, a bit of carefull work with a fine blade to release the fig from horse, but when thatīs done the cloak is pretty stable, more like resin.
I will paint up the fig and show it at some point but hereīs one (far right with a hood) made using the same technique:
http://paulsbods.blogspot.com/2010/11/airfix-robinhood-conversions.html
Cheers
Paul
 _GOTOTOP