_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Convert a soft top to a hard top
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
Revell Germany has a Mercedes LKw gl Light Wolf. It comes in a soft top like so.

As it is, it's no use to me as a soft top, and if there were some sort of after market kit to convert it to a hard top, I think I would use it. I haven't found any, so scratchbuilding is the way to go. Trouble is I don't know the first thing about it. Good thing this forum is full of experts in the field. So can I please have any recommendations for turning that soft top above, to something a little like this?

I do note that the cabin on the real deal hard top is extended, I'm only interested in the roof.

okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Gerok

You mean the short wheel version like this one.

These are the 1/24 Revell kits altered from the long wheelbase hard top. Adding a roof to your 1/35 scale Revell model needs a lot of work, but you could try your hand at either laminating plastic sheet for the roof shape and add the door pillars and windows from sheet plastic, or form a basic mold from wood or dentil plaster and try your hand at vac-forming.

Some of the drawings I found on the web are on this blog.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/134047&ord=&page=1

Look forward to seeing if you get a start on building the G waggon in 1/35.

Nige
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
hehe exactly it... I'm looking to fit it in a 1/35 diorama. It won't be anytime to soon, but I do try to plan as ahead as I can. Thanks for the tips. It doesn't look easy, but I have to congratulate you on the out come, it's very spot on.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,917 Posts
KitMaker Network: 133 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
I did the same thing on a 6x6 truck a couple years ago. I used the AFV Club M49 tanker that only has a soft top, but I sanded the kit softtop flat and bulked it up with sheet styrene layers, then sanded the round edges to shape. Sorry, I only found the final photo, and not the in-progress though:
Big Mo
What you can do is use the kit roof for dimensions, then use new styrene sheet (or "card", some call it) to create your new roof, as Nige described above. The fine ribs would have to be very thin styrene strips, or stretched sprue laid down with plenty of liquid cement (assuming your sheet is thick enough not to distort from too much cement), then sanded smooth.
It's not too difficult-- a very good first scratchbuild item.
cheers!
-Sean.
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Thanks Sean. Believe me everyone, I'm taking down notes!
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 673 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 06:33 AM UTC
Gendrok

You are lucky with the G waggon that the roof and sides are of fairly simple flat profiles that should be simple to form from plastic sheet.

The newer versions have the wider mud guards similar to the landrovers that are slightly awkward shape.

If you need drawings to scale from I might be able to look something out when I get back in two weeks.

Nige
grimmo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 752 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
i have a hard top from the revel 1/35 landrover you could have. I'll get a pic up in the next couple of days.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC
erm Revell 109 Landy is a civvy version of the soft-top....

It can be used to fab the hard-top for a landy, but I can't tell you if it would fit the Wolf.
bigmal
Visit this Community
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
Talking of Revell 109 hardtops, has any one over here got a spare one they don`t want, i have soft tops but want to do a hardtop Land Rover and i can`t find the kits for sale any where at sensible prices

Regards

Malcolm
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking of Revell 109 hardtops, has any one over here got a spare one they don`t want, i have soft tops but want to do a hardtop Land Rover and i can`t find the kits for sale any where at sensible prices

Regards

Malcolm

DJParkins Firing Line do a series of Landies, 1/2 ton light-weight to 1-Ton...

It's up to you if you think it's worth it.

OR, HobbyBoss are soon to release a WOLF Hard-Top Landy soon,I'm waiting for that one!
 _GOTOTOP