_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
I'm the only modeler I know?!
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 01:19 AM UTC
Well, I've finished my first model, posted some pictures on here, and received some feedback...now what?

Unfortunately I don't know any other people that build scale models and because of this I am not sure how the hobby will progress. Its hard for me to know/see what does and doesn't look right because I don't know enough of the history or the techniques. I'm 21 and LOVE this hobby so I don't plan to stop, but how can I get better? I don't know whether to try the new or try the excel at one technique.

I just thought I could talk to a few people that feel they could lend a hand/be a good person to just have a nice conversation on the topic of scale modeling!

I'm anxious
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hello and welcome, this hobby does tend to be a mostly solitary endeavour. But the best way to broaden your horizons is by joining a club. Try to find out if there are any in your area. Another way is to go to a Model show. IPMS is the International Plastic Modelers Society, their web site can guide you to any shows in your area. Fine Scale Modeler magazine also lists upcoming shows. Do you have a local hobby shop? If so, you can meet fellow modelers there, and maybe organize your own club. That is how I met a lot of great guys and joined a great club. By the way a club can be four or five guys meeting in a basement, as well as thirty guys that have a formal meeting place. Then there is the Internet, I have talked with people from all over the world, sharing ideas and techniques. There are many people on this site and others willing to help each other out anyway they can. Al
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the response!

I have checked out IPMS and such, unfortunately I live in Port Hope, and its too small for any kind of modeling community. I think there may be some railway guys but thats it. Closest club might be Oshawa, and the only model store I've been visiting is Leading Edge Hobbies in Kingston.

I live in Toronto right now and the only IPMS club meets kind of far for me. I guess once we have our next move I'll look for a good club.

Otherwise maybe I just need an internet pen-pal!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 05:03 AM UTC
Jaredt blog your builds here and people will jump in with advice and comments, the comments will not always be positive but they will normally point you in a direction. A blog also allows you to ask question both specific and general on any subject under the sun you care to ask.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 05:08 AM UTC
Thanks again. I did this with one of my recent builds, I just kind of took pictures of what I got done in a day, not necessarily moment to moment and I didn't label it as a blog when posted. I've got some kits at home that kind of have "plans" for them, so I'm going out today to pick a kit that will be the new subject and I'll take a different approach to this one. Maybe blog it...
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 282 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi Jaredt,
No need to feel alone, mate. Lots of great modellers on this site. Also check ou the local community section on the forum page which will certainly keep you informed of local stuff going on.
Keep going on your models, its a great hobby!
Regards,
Garth
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC
If you have any questions, just ask the guys on here. Practice makes perfect. Only build it if it's fun. A tip on picking models, have a trend. That way, when you run out of display room, you can go back and create dios or vignettes.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Thanks. I'm trying to stay WWII for sure, I recently built a LAV III but now its just sitting waiting paint because I can't be bothered(it was a gift).

Today my 2 Tamiya Schwimmwagens came so I'm going to start one of those, with an Aber photo-etch kit as well.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 10:43 AM UTC
You say you're in Toronto...chek out IPMS Toronto.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:00 PM UTC
Jaredt, I got back into the hobby after more then 28 year, in order to ward off boredom when I injured my leg and was trapped in my house. For the past year the only guys I know that are involved in this hobby are the guys on this site. I don't know any of them personally but what I can tell you is that they all seam to be very helpful when help or advice is needed. There seams to be an unlimited amount of different techniques and you have to go with what you feel comfortable with and what your budget can afford. Continue to post your work join a campaign and read what guys write. But remember that this is for FUN
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC
I thought the same when I got into modelling again, about 9 or 10 years ago. I only went online to find out if other adults built models ... much to my surprise there were quite a few. I joined our local IPMS Chapter shortly afterwards, which is something Im really glad I did, as a few of those guys are now considered good friends.
Id agree with the others who posted already. Post you build as you go along and get some discussion going regarding your model and techniqes. YouŽll be surprised at the feedback youŽll get and how your builds will advance naturally.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Hey There...

I don't know about everyone else, but the internet is my access to the biggest model building club I know of.

And Armorama is the best club of all.

There is a small local club here, but almost all of them just build cars and trucks, and the one guy who does military stuff is fixated on giant dio's, and dismisses everyone elses work as being poor and substandard.. and to tell the truth his stuff isn't all that great...

on the other hand here on this site, I've had pretty much nothing but fun..

just my 2 cents..

Delbert
 _GOTOTOP