_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
model anchor chains
ericw95
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hey guys, I'm kinda new around here and I'm currently building a 1/700 scale tamiya dkm prinz eugen. I was just wondering if anybody has a technique to paint the plastic anchor chains when they're molded onto the deck of the ship. I don't have enough money to go for one of those nice photoetch kits so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 05:37 AM UTC
you could try what is considered an old fasioned method of dry brushing the chain detail.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC
Eric;

Maybe try a little very thin black oil-paint pin-wash along the chain after you dry-brush it? This will bring the chain out a bit.

That said...

I wonder - if you are building her earlier in the war, those big chains would have been likely painted the hull gray - or they would have been painted black - one of those tasks for crew dogs otherwise getting all bored and stuff Later on, the sea and the war will have done its things and those chains may have developed some rust... IF either gray or rusty are your scenario, the black pin-wash along both sides will nicely hi-lite the chain along the deck, but be very sparing with it so the chain does not become blackened.

Cheers!

Bob
 _GOTOTOP