_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Making
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
I am fairly new here but have made models for years.
Having seen the superb models on this site i got thinking about my own models and how good they are
I have decided they are not that good so what do i do

a) throw every thing away and start from scratch
b)give up model making all together
c)pick out the models i think are of a reasonable standard keep those and chuck the rest, look at what others are doing, learn from it and carry on and try to make better models.

Well after much soul searching i chose c) and will be having a clear out of all builds i consider poor, it will also make some space for me to work better.

Am i the only one who has had this dilemma or have others been here before me?

It would be interesting to hear other opinions on this

Malcolm
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC
Mal:

Hi!

IMHO, "it's gotta be door C"! Of course, the number you toss might be influenced by space available...!

Hey, I built many years ago, and several more recently. Most of my recents have won some award at shows here in the USA. Does that mean my builds are any "good"? Well... I'd bet that I am doing a better job than I did 35 years back! Now-a-days, I actually do some home-work and I look at what others are doing and try to apply what I can to mine. Many of my olds are, well, Bow-wow. Maybe some folks think my newer efforts look OK some of the time, and I appreciate that. I'd guess that every build I do I get a little better at something, and so will you. Each build is a learning opportunity!

As to tossing out those oldsters... I'd toss the true wretches and the disturbing - and specially if I am going to build an up-dated one. The rest? I liked them when I built them and they are the record of my efforts.

"Choose wisely", as the good knight in that Indiana Jones movie said!

Cheers!

Bob
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC
Malcolm,

It's a never-ending dilema because hopefully every model is a little better than the last one. My own method is to keep everything until such time as it gets too crowded, and then consider disposal on a case-by-case basis as needs must. If you do decide to scrap a model, look at it first to see if there is anything you can re-use.

Of course, you can also consider giving those old clunkers an overhaul...

Tom
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 43 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:30 PM UTC
Instead of chucking the old models...why not select a few for use as guinea pigs (test subjects) for new ideas and techniques???
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Instead of chucking the old models...why not select a few for use as guinea pigs (test subjects) for new ideas and techniques???

i concur. i was going through old models a while back. most of them broken. ill never display them as they sit. i kept a few of them for use of being guinea pigs.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Hi Malcolm

Same here, I've vastly improved ever since joining the site. So many models are just not up to it anymore. I moved some of them into a closet, others I use as guinea pigs and some I've overhauled. Gradually more will move into the closet, overhaul some and I might throw out some at some point but don't know yet. Just keep going and do what you like!

Cheers!
Stefan
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hello and thanks for the replies.
I am lucky in some ways to have a house to myself, as such i have a room just to display my models and i have about 70 or so that i am happy with and most of these i happily take to my club stand at shows and to club meets.
My work room is another story, i have removed about 15 models that were old OOTB builds, test beds, damaged or just plain rubbish and put them in a box for disposal. They were spotted by my cousin who called and who went home with them all and a big smile on his face, so not a bad result.
And i have decided that i must finish a model before i start another so i don`t have shelves full of part builds.
So, just need to get my work room back in order and i can get stuck in again and finish my Chieftain mk 3 and Warrior AOP with MSTAR.

Thanks
Malcolm
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 3,212 Posts
KitMaker Network: 250 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 05:34 AM UTC
Just try having each build better than the last....and enjoy it!
 _GOTOTOP