_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Oshkosh M1070 'Super' H.E.T. Tractor
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:44 AM UTC
Howdy all!!

YES!!.....I finally went ahead and did it! My local hobby shop happened to have the AA M1070 HET that someone else had ordered but then couldn't pay for, plus they had their yearly 30% off sale this weekend, and, adding a couple of gift certificate's I have been holding for quite awhile, I was finally able to afford this monster!
And let me tell ya.......it's massive.
Combining all of the factors above I was finally able to afford the bloody thing! (those things AND not telling my wife how much it actually cost ).

Anyway....What I was hoping was that someone had a source of walkaround photos, reference materials, interior pics, etc. Even though the kit itself is pretty darn expensive, I must say, I'm somewhat dissapointed with the, shall we say, NON-complexity of the instruction booklet. For THAT kind of money one would expect colour pictures and an accompanying CD. But, I guess, the model itself is magnificent. Castings are excellent, and it comes with half a million parts, so I guess the important part is done well!! :-) :-)

I have already cruised Rob's wonderful 'Motorpool' gallery, but I cannot find any M1070 pics ( Rob, are you listening?? ) So any help on the build-up photos would be greatly appreciated. The sheer size and cost of this behemoth requires me to do 'bang-up' job, right?

Thx in advance all.

Regards,

Tread.

P.S. I also need pics of the accompanying SEI M1000 H.E.T. semi-trailer as well. (Yeah, I know, I'm beginning to get a little greedy (++) (++) (++) )
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have already cruised Rob's wonderful 'Motorpool' gallery, but I cannot find any M1070 pics ( Rob, are you listening?? ) So any help on the build-up photos would be greatly appreciated. The sheer size and cost of this behemoth requires me to do 'bang-up' job, right?

Congratulations on the great buy. You obviously didn't look well enough. Photos of both the truck and trailer are on page two. There wasn't a real demand for many shots so I didn't take a lot. M1070/M1000 Super HET
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC
Tread, Looking forward to seeing some photos of this big guy. Keep me posted if you will.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
Howdy Rob,

I was hoping you'd find my Post. Thanks for the pics, I did look, but I looked thru your titles and didn't see the HET mentioned......my autism. The pics you have will help out, buttttttttttttttt......do you still have one in the 'garage'? If so, or if one decides to park for the night, please take more shots. I know you're busy, but anything will help!

To animal: Actually, I am going to break down and buy a digital camera so I can start posting pics.
I'm sure the pics (subject matter) won't be of the same quality as Gunnie's masterpiece's, or your scratchbuilding gem's, but all the same I'm going to try to post more pics of my amateur efforts.
In fact, with the HET, I might post pics of the in-progress efforts so I can possibly ellicit help by playing the 'sympathy' card....

Regards,

Tread.

Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
I still have both truck and trailer. I'm a little lame right now and won't be able to do any picture taking for the next week or so until the foot heals.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 03:27 PM UTC
Not exactly what you are lookin' for, but Tamiya Magazine #98 has a great build up of the kit.

Congrats on getting it.......only in my wildest dreams. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 12:28 PM UTC
To Rob:
Many thx for the response my friend! I've been away awhile and hadn't heard that you broke a paw. Really sorry to hear that Major 'G'! I know you like to jog (oops, sorry!.....run) did you do it while running? Well, heal up fast Sir....and that's an order!

As to the picture taking....NP Rob, if it's at all possible (when you've healed), I would greatly appreciate your (photo) assistance. I will start working on the kit in the meantime (along with my T-55 'Enigma' / Operation 'Telic' Challenger2 / and B-58 'Hustler' Bare Metal Foil projects) and hopefully come up with a 'wish-list' that I might humbly present on your Motor Pool dias. I promise to avert my eyes while asking......... #:-) #:-)
Seriously, anything would help. As I obviously have a significant investment in this 'puppy' and I would like to do it justice.

Your as always.......a gem.

To StukeSowie:
Thx for the 'heads-up'. I have already read thru that article (and have re-read it a couple of times)...very helpful indeed. In fact, most of the pics I have been able to uncover have shown the HET in it's Euro colours. I originally planned to paint it in OIF colours (and have not entirely ruled that out), but I have found some pretty interesting photos where the HET's, clothed in their Euro colours, have endured hundred's of road miles inside Iraq, AND a recent sand storm, and have come out where almost the entire lower half of the vehicle has been covered by the red/orange sand of Iraq. Making for a VERY interesting appearance!!!!
Still debating.

Regards,

Tread.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 08:21 PM UTC
Tread,

There is a great Czech book available that conains loads of "walkaround" style photos of HET and the trailer. I don't know the price and availability in the US, but here in Poland it was easily available and quite affordable.
Look for:
WWP (Wings and Wheels Publications) Present Vehicle Line No.3
"US Army Truck Tractors in detail"

Regards,
Pawel
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hey Tread,

Congrats on the new arrival. Mine came last year! #:-)

Now, after you look at Rob's photo page, get the Tamiya Model Mag (#98) and a few other photo sites out there, make sure you do not have it end up on the shelf (like me).

For now, this transport (and a couple of others0 are on a temporary hold. but are on the planing stage soon.

Just a thought.
Dave
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 01:54 PM UTC
Howdy,

To Pawel: Thx for the reference material suggestion (Wings and Wheels), I believe that's the very same publication mentioned in the Tamiya Model Magazine build-up article which StukeSowie suggested (which I've already read a few times ). I will be ordering it from Pol Models in the U.K. I suppose (that is if Squadron doesn't have it or something). I look forward to reading/re-reading thru it!

Thx,

To Dave: Thanks for the Congrat's....when I starting reading your post I immediately thought to myself; Great!, Someone else has built one of these monster's and can offer some insight and constructive foresight........Yeaaaaaahhhhh!
Darn. The shelf huh?
NP Dave, just kidding. Sorry to hear it's on the 'back-burner'. I'm sure you have your reason's. So, in that case, maybe I can help you in some way as I build mine? Hopefully my blunders can assist you in your build-up.

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP