_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Tamiya Putty?
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
entire network: 568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hi all,
I hope this is the right place to post this!

I was just wondering how one keeps Tamiya putty from drying out rapidly and how to get it to the right consistency. I would like to know how to use it properly (how to apply and shape it and control it).

Every time I try to use it start drying out almost instantly after it leaves the tube, and it gives a very rough texture.

Thanks for any help you can give!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
I have never used the Tamiya putty but if it is the same as the Squadron putty add a little Humbrol liguid polly to the expelled putty, I advise you try a little before trying it on a model.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
I would recomend Squadron white putty as well.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Vladimir

Well, I don't know, is a matter of personal taste

In my opinion Tamiya putty is the best putty I've ever used
It dries fast, that's true, but is not an issue in my opinion, is an advantage.
You don't have to wait ages before sanding it and the fast evaporation of vapors, avoids the hypotetical plastic damages.
Personally I sometime dilute it with Tamiya lacquer thinner and I use a brush to aply it on the model. This method give me more control, especcialy when I have tiny spots to fill. Furthermore, Tamyia putty diluted, works as a sort of Mr Surfacer 500, but is thinner, so you can use it near the smallest details without worries

In my opinion to solve your problem , to fill a crevice, rather than give a single application, you should apply little by little a few amount of putty untill you'll cover the entire spot. Otherwise, as i said before, you should dilute it (you can use also lacquer thinner or acetone) and you should apply the putty on the fissure with an old brush. It will depend on the kind of spot, but two or three brush strokes of diluted putty could be enough to complete the operation
That's could avoid the fast drying problem

I hope this will be helpful for you

Cheers
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help Mauro I will give it a try. Darren, Matt thanks for the ideas unfortunately there are no professional model stores in Dubai I have to make do with Tamiya products (almost all my paint, glue and brushes).

Regards,
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
Well Vladimir, Tamiya are actually very good products, so you don't have a bad luck

If you've decided to try the putty dilution with lacquer thinner, should pay attention to his consistence
The putty should be liquid enough to allows you an easy spreading with a brush and shouldn't be too thinned

You should make some trials but eventually it'll be a very effective technique

Let me know if you'll have problems

Cheers
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
Sorry forthe belated reply, but I was here checking out another thread andsaw this.

I too love the Tamiya (grey, from the white tube) putty. Fine grain, sands well, does not dry out in the tube likeSquadrons putties do for me.

But it is pretty thick, I agree.

I use the cheap Testors liquid glue with the black stiff bristles.
Squeeze out a pea sized blob onto the glass worktop, add a couple of brushloads of liquid cement and stir.

Tamiya eatra thin liquid cement works too, but it's more expensive than the Testors.

Be alittle bitcareful though, since it's putty plus glue,it can soften plastic and the thumbprints take FOREVER to sand out..
voice of experience..

Mike
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC
Thanks you for your help,

I will try these techniques out soon, I will inform you about any complications!

Thanks again,
 _GOTOTOP