_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New Owner Of A Hobby Shop, Sort Of?
grayghost666
entire network: 2,458 Posts
KitMaker Network: 163 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 06:25 PM UTC
Hello All,
While sitting in my rehab bed at the Hospital getting better after my Heart Surgery/Stroke I received a Letter from my lawyer letting me know that I was the high bidder for a Hobby shop closing out east.
So I am now the owner of over 35,000 kits, 3500 books and magazines, 5,000+ PE item, 2500+ paints and over 50,000 misc items. They will be arriving here in the next 3 weeks or so.
So I am looking for about 100 to find 300 by 300 climate controlled controlled storage units till I get out of Hospital and see what I have.
That along with my stash of over 20,000 kits, PE, Books, and others stuff in about 100 storage units.
I thinking I will have time to build all of what I have and now I just doubled my kits. Maybe if I live to be 200 I might get to them all, What do you think?
I guess I need to hire some one to do an inventory of what I have and Maybe sell/Give away what I do not need .
Any And all suggestions are welcome to help me decide what to do next, Remember I am sick, Not dumb.
Thank in advance,
Cheers,
Bruce
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 07:17 PM UTC
Bruce, sux about the health thing.
I just had to place an order for some brass, would have been happy to place it with a list member.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 07:47 PM UTC
I would try to sell the kits you aren't going to build in lots. Be willing to accept individual sales, but discount the lots. Or, you could ask for requests and not have to inventory every kit. Sorry to hear about your health matters. Doctors can do amazing things now days. Look at me. I took a bullet to the temple and have suffered no physical or mental impairments. Hope you get well soon.
grayghost666
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hello All,
Thanks for the idea guys. I first have to inventory what I have and see what I want to do wit it all.
I think I might put some of them up as winners for the campaigns I will be running this fall IE: best in the campaign with the campaigner's doing the voting. That way I can get ride of some of them.
I also might send a box or 3 over to the troops over seas to help them relax from combat or give them to a boy scout troop if they still do that? I do not know if the boy scouts still build models? Does anyone know?
I still need Ideas
Cheers,
Bruce
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 01:32 AM UTC
WOW! It must cost quite a bit just to store all of those kits. You are one dedicated collector!

You might also try VA hospitals if you want to donate to the troops. Most, if not all, have craft areas for recovering vets and would welcome your donations.

Good luck on your recovery. It sounds like you have quite a bit of work waiting for you when you get out so get lots of rest while you can!
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,726 Posts
KitMaker Network: 558 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
Congratulations on so many levels.... for your health and your bidding prowess.
Just as a point of curiosity,and you don't have to answer this if you're not comfortable, but in what range is a winning bid for over 35000+ kits??
I ask because I couldn't even imagine trying to come up with a figure to submit!

Anyway, cheers to your health and new acquisitions.Best of luck.........
Charles
grayghost666
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hello Charles,
It was in the 6 figures range. My lawyer handled all of my bid's when I tell him I want to buy something. I did forget about that bid, it was done about 6 months ago.
Cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
entire network: 3,529 Posts
KitMaker Network: 422 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
Bruce,

That is some rather interesting news about the purchase. Just getting everything cataloged will be a job in itself. Sounds like you have better get building when you get home!!

_GOTOTOP