_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Constantly have to reset password
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 06:36 AM UTC
This site keeps cancelling my password forcing me to reset it by changing it. Its always been a problem and having just returned to posting after some time away I find nothing has changed. It is the only site I have ever been on that nullfies my password almost everytime I attempt to log on. In fact after resetting my password yesterday I attempted to log in today and the password that worked yesterday did not work today. What is up armorama
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 06:50 AM UTC
I find Im being logged out quite a bit .... not every time but quite often.
My password works every time though.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
Sounds frustrating for sure, but I know of nothing in the code that would cause that short of someone logging into your account and changing the password to something else.

I do note that your username has two underscores in it. I have never seen a username (in almost 20 years online) with 2 concurrent underscores, so I have no idea if that might play havoc with some browsers and the way they look at cookies. Unfortunately there are all sorts of little issues like these that affect less than 1% of any site or software application.

What I could do is reset your password myself and then note the updated encrypted value. Then go back and look at it again when you report having a problem logging in. If the value has changed than obviously something is updating it in the database.

Or I could try updating your username to simply 'armour_dude' and see if that helps. Why did you opt to use 2 underscores?

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find Im being logged out quite a bit .... not every time but quite often.
My password works every time though.

Frank,
There is also nothing in the code that would do this. Cookies set by our sites are persistent (meaning they never expire). I have been considering changing this for staff users, but haven't so far. If something is logging you out it would have to be a security app (killing cookies after a set time), or using a privacy screen like Chrome's incognito window which obviously does not allow persistent cookies.

Cheers,
Jim
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds frustrating for sure, but I know of nothing in the code that would cause that short of someone logging into your account and changing the password to something else.

I do note that your username has two underscores in it. I have never seen a username (in almost 20 years online) with 2 concurrent underscores, so I have no idea if that might play havoc with some browsers and the way they look at cookies. Unfortunately there are all sorts of little issues like these that affect less than 1% of any site or software application.

What I could do is reset your password myself and then note the updated encrypted value. Then go back and look at it again when you report having a problem logging in. If the value has changed than obviously something is updating it in the database.

Or I could try updating your username to simply 'armour_dude' and see if that helps. Why did you opt to use 2 underscores?

Jim

Hi Jim, let's try resetting my password and see what happens.

Regards,
David.
 _GOTOTOP