_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
AAR on Op. LILS
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:00 AM UTC
NOTE: BTT'd FOR IFF PURPOSES (10 DEKABR 2003)

Here's the AAR of Operation: Little InfideLS:

First, those who attended (apologies in advance for the blurred photos - cel camera kasi e):

From L-R: The Elder (Crismag), The Future (Fritz), The Inquisitor (SR), The Serious Guy (LW), The Giant (LaTtex). Missing from this pic is The Monster (that's me, who took the photo hehehe)

Photo above was taken at the Toy Kingdom, where the Gundam Exhibit Contest was being held. SR and LW have been doing a seeeeeeeekrrrrrrrret prrrrrrrrrrojekt of this:

I must say, it was pretty good! For me, at least, I found the paint finish quite nice. Quite violent also hehehehe! LaTtex (it was just in this op that I learned to pronounce his screen name correctly - Latte X ) took some pix of the event as well as our very own Armoramaniacs' entry - before the Toy Kingdom staff told him "No pictures allowed" (phooey!) (thanks really to me who told LaTtex to take a group pic of us with his digital camera - yet another faux pas for me hehe sigh...)

BTW, for Crismag, this is my car:

Hehehe NOT! Actually, this car was parked beside our Kia (which looked like this a few months ago hehehe)

"LZ CLEARED!"

The LZ was cleared by LatTex who arrived there first at around 1300hrs. Actually, SR and LW were already in the area, submitting their entry and looking at the competition. By 1300, LatTex - who ended up being the Pathfinder for this operation whilst I was splurging on books at the BookFair) - arrived at the LZ - Lils MegaMall - thinking that he was late. He was later accompanied by SR and LW, and later by Fritz.

After having a hefty lunch, The Monster (that's me hehehe) proceeded to the LZ and met the gang. Crismag came in shortly, straight from his office. This at around 1400 to 1430.

Chit Chat on Cars, Armor, and What Not

We proceeded to systematically "plunder" Lils hehehehe by looking at the kits and discussing about technics and other stuff. The Elder (Crismag) gave us some painting tips and mini-reviews on the car kits he has built. Fritz helped himself into a nice kit of German figures in 1/35 by Dragon. I revelled at the sight of the many kits at Lils (for it was many moons since I've visited it), especially at the line up of ships they offered (which prompted me to get my wallet, open it, and saw a fly coming out of it - alas, no doe hehehe). By this time, Jeepney informed us that he would only make it probably at night, so we then proceeded to look at the Gundam Convention.

CHARGE!

Us Armoramaniacs went to Toy Kingdom, finding ourselves inexplicably at the Barbie Section (must've made some people who saw us look with suspicion hehehe). We then went to the center where the exhibit was being held. There, we "ooooh"-ed and we "ahhhh"-ed at the many dioramas, vignettes, etc. displayed there - including the entry of our fellow Armoramaniacs SR and LW. There was one particular dio though which caught all our hearts and minds - that of a Gundam in varying shades of blue with snow on it. It was a spectacular build, and many of us were of the mind that had we been judges, we would have picked that as First Place. Alas, I wasn't able to take a pic of it (stupid me hehehe) but I reckon Crismag and Lattex did, so wait for their posts! SR then gave us an idea on how much Gundam kits cost. By then, we starting "knocking" Gundam kits because of the price. Let's see... according to SR, one Zaku in 1/72 (or 48?) costs around P7000. We translated that as equivalent to buying one Tamiya 1/350 CVN-65 Enterprise, one Tamiya 1/350 IJN BB Yamato, and one Tamiya 1/350 USS Missouri altogether. OUCH!

By 1530, yours truly had to go back to the Bookfair to meet siblings and go home, so had to leave the gang behind. And that's where the rest start posting their thoughts on Op: LILS in this thread.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
The supposedly "DESERT SCENE" did turn into a beach scene..all thanks to BIO-RESEACH's aquarium sand...(no wonder I have been dreaming of bikini clad girls on the beach....) Or I guess there was too much water, so the glue didn't stick to the sand...>_<

Anyway, I'm off to try the "GREAT ELDER'S" advice on verrrrry realistic trees and foliage....

shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC
Ok, where do I start? I start it from my POV. Lone came here into my house around 830h. We finish the diorama and a little talk. He played Half-Life and Day of Defeat online then Medal of Honor while I take a bath. We left home around 1030h together with the dio. We came by the vicinity around 1230h then submitted the model to Toy Kingdom and have lunch at Texas Chicken. After that, I send an SMS to LaTtEX and GI saying both of us went off to Lil's. We came in around 1330h . After looking around a few kits, a guy came to me and it was LaTtEX. Fritz was also in the vicinity. GI sent an SMS saying he'll be coming in 30 mins to eat. The four of us talk and talk and talk. GI came into the scene. Talk and talk and talk again. The grand master crismag came into the scene. Talk and talk again. Then we went off to Toy Kingdom to see the Gundam dioramas. Talk and talk again. After a while, GI left the scene. We continue the talk then went to Food Court. Then grand master crismag buys free drinks for us (Thanks ) While Lone buys the fries and LaTtEX bougt some nuts?? (errr... What was that food anyway?) Around 1700h, me and Lone left the 3 guys and went home.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 12:55 AM UTC
(At the risk of sounding repetitive with my last post at the Notable Finds thread...)

VSS: Saw some Loach helos there at Lils Mega during this Op. Some 3 to 4 boxes of Italeri Loach choppers (can't recall though if it's 1/35 or smaller scale). I seem to have seen another Loach by a different manufacturer (dunno if Dragon or Revell - not sure) nor its scale as well.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
Me? Inquistor? Ok the Gundam kits are in varying sizes of 1/144, 1/100 and 1/60. The one I shown to you is 1/100 which is our entry.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:13 AM UTC
Good thing my face wasn't that clear! Hahahaha
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
The inquisitor, I like it. Hehe! Sana nakasama ako, but my dad came over by surprise from the province, and I had to entertain him. Sorry guys! Next time!

Kudos on the pictures!
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
The future? I never knew that I would be ever named after a floorwax, hehehehehe!!! I still can't figure it out, what could I buy w/ P 7000 except for that Gundam kit & the Airbrush/Compressor set? hmmmm..... Ah! a new cellphone! but that's boring maybe another.......
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 12:57 AM UTC
GI

what books did you get to take home, just curious (the bookworm in me has been bugging me lately). Fancy a book-trade in the future with me, or book-lend of sorts.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
GI, that's why I told you spy cams are very useful in occassions like these
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 280 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
hi there! well... a very productive and promising first meet sana sa susunod kasama na lahat para mas masaya and para hindi na ako ang pinakamatanda
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:15 PM UTC
You guys had a lot of fun! I'm very happy to hear that the event was a success. The presence of an Elder is icing on the cake

I'll post my AAR too even though I wasn't there hehe

Thursday, Sept 4, 2003
Supreme High Commander (SHC) arrives. All weekend plans dashed to pieces.

Saturday, Sept 6, 2003
1100 - 1400 : NBC Tent Fort Bonifacio, Makati. Search and talk, ask and talk, haggle and talk.
1500 - 1700: Ysabelle Tailoring, Makati. Had my perfectly fit bod fitted for some new threads.
1800 - 1900: Manila Hotel, Manila. Ask, haggle, clarify.
2000 - 2100: SM Megamall, Mandaluyong (finally). SHC bought folding bed for bro. Bought a 6-inch stainless steel extension for my water trap (200 bucks for the extension and coupling. dang)
2200 - 2230: Dapitan Street, Manila. Dragged bro's folding bed up 3 floors. Bro took over from gasping brother for the next two floors.
2300 - Park Square 2, Makati. Dinner with SHC and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. Ordered extra regular mashed potatoes for PHP 33.00 . Gave the cashier PHP 103.00 (may barya syempre para buo ang change diba?). Cashier dared to threaten me with PHP70.00 worth of 5 peso coins. Order cancelled. Perfect end to a very long day.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC
"Elder" in the sense na marami kang matuturo sa aming mga "may gatas pa sa labi" hehe
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

2300 - Park Square 2, Makati. Dinner with SHC and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. Ordered extra regular mashed potatoes for PHP 33.00 . Gave the cashier PHP 103.00 (may barya syempre para buo ang change diba?). Cashier dared to threaten me with PHP70.00 worth of 5 peso coins. Order cancelled. Perfect end to a very long day.

Natawa ako dito. Hehe, sales in this country just sucks, especially from uncouf people who usually man the cashiers. Not that this event had bad sales in particular. Worst experience of mine was at Mcdonalds Taft, ladyy waitresses talk to you like a tsuper nang jeep, oh well maybe coz they're students themselves. (:-)

I couldn't help but notice, mukhang tatay si Cris dun sa first pic.
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 280 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I couldn't help but notice, mukhang tatay si Cris dun sa first pic.

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 07:52 PM UTC
Jomz: Bookfair was over yesterday (I thought it was up to 14 Setyabr, but alas, it was to end at 7 Setyabr - sorry for the initial info). First priority in the bookfair were my school textbooks (got 4, cost me P2000+ - painful). Second was sister's text book - cost was also painful. Then I had the rest of the money for me own selfish purposes, so I gots me:

"By Tank Into Normandy" by Stuart Hills - UK tanker of the Sherwood Rangers, participated in Normandy up to VE-Day. Excellent so far.

"Battle of the Bulge" by MacDonald - I asked at TankNet a review of this book and it is highly recommended - not only because of the topic, but also because of the author. Started it and very good indeed.

"Into The Teeth of The Tiger" by Tom Clancy - Latest Clancy novel on the Jack Ryan series, this time it delves on the next generation, including Pres. Ryan's son - Jack Ryan, Jr. Haven't started but I did take a peek.

My older sister got me an advance birthday gift book which I chose. It's by Sir John Keegan (very good military historian) titled "The Face of Command" I think. It looks at four kinds of leadership styles or "heroes" - four generals/political leaders are profiled, including Adolf Hitler. Can't wait to read it.

So far, this was my biggest bookfair haul to date, which I've been doing for the past 10 years I think already. There were a lot of very nice books which I'd love to get, such as the complete set "History of the Lord of The Rings" by Tolkien which sells at P1,700+, down from the original price of P2,300+. I did take notice though that the military aircraft books at the Goodwill stall are the usual general info books (i.e., not specializing on one particular aircraft, but rather either modern aircraft or WW2 aircraft). Same goes for armor and artillery (really boring).

SR: I do not recall any talk about a spy camera. You got me mixed up with the wrong person. But, alas for you, now that you mentioned it, I have marked you down in my dossier for, uh, "future dealing purposes" for my "real" employer MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I have your picture, finger prints, DNA, palm prints, etc. etc. BE FOREWARNED MWUHAHAHAHAHAHA!) #:-)

Jeep: NBC Tent? Manila Hotel? You're not skimping on this one, eh? Hehehehe BTW, extension for the water trap? Can you take a pic or describe to me what you're doing to your compressor?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:05 PM UTC
OBTW, I forgot to ask, did you guys get the cards from SR?

Also, my trip to Corregidor this Dekabr is cancelled. I might just go there in Summer '04 instead. So, Operation Corregidor proposal is still up in the air. I'll try to contact the 503rd PIR Organization and its "fan club" the 503rd PIR Heritage Organization. FYI, the 503rd PIR was the airborne regiment that liberated Corregidor. They'll be going back to the Rock next year in January, spending 2 weeks there. I'd love to go at that time but school and work requirements dictate I stay put - though for those interested in meeting the men who liberated the Rock, going there January '04 would be one experience you'll treasure.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 08:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

GI, that's why I told you spy cams are very useful in occassions like these

Yes, It's Ralph and his "secret missions" again...
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:09 PM UTC
GI

Great haul there, oh my, and I'm thinking of getting into law pa naman! Haha! I figured you'd be picking up school books, since Law books cost an arm and a leg. Wow, military buff ka pala, I have some military books in my collection, too. I have of note: Ghost Soldiers (I loved this book), and We Were Soldiers Once..And Young (Vietnam era book, of which I'm a big fan of), and a couple other military books I got from booksales and such.

For specialty books, have you tried "A Different Bookstore"? The one in Glorietta, the books cost an arm and a leg, but are well worth the asking price -- plus most of them aren't even available locally. (:-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OBTW, I forgot to ask, did you guys get the cards from SR?

Yup, gave them all.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Jomz: Yes, I also got "Ghost Soldiers" which I got at Page One in PowerPlant back when I was in Ateneo Law. Very fine book indeed and I enjoyed reading it. I also got a paperback copy of "We Were Soldiers..." at NBS I think. Also "Black Hawk Down." One nice thing is that I do is compare "WWSOAY" and "BHD" with their respective movies to see how faithful the movies were. Let's say the movies left much to be desired hehehehe.

I'm in the process of expanding and improving my military history / general history collection. I do hope to get a nice book on the Medieval Ages, particularly The Crusades. Sir Runciman had a whole series of that but IIRC it is out of print and might be dated already.

I haven't been to that bookstore you mentioned since I don't go to Makati often nowadays. However, one nice bookstore to visit is Libris at President's Avenue, near Tahanan village, beside the AutoBahn shop. Nice collection of books, with some nice history/military history ones - that's where I got "Afternoon of the Rising Sun: The Battle of Leyte Gulf" which I highly recommend.

Hmmm... maybe it's time to make a book thread, perhaps? I'll see what I have in my personal library and put my list online before I do my second Internet Fast.
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jomz: Yes, I also got "Ghost Soldiers" which I got at Page One in PowerPlant back when I was in Ateneo Law. Very fine book indeed and I enjoyed reading it. I also got a paperback copy of "We Were Soldiers..." at NBS I think. Also "Black Hawk Down." One nice thing is that I do is compare "WWSOAY" and "BHD" with their respective movies to see how faithful the movies were. Let's say the movies left much to be desired hehehehe.

I liked BHD (I was waiting for the book way back, even before the trailers for the movie came out), my being a Ridley Scott fan aside, although the depiction of the "Skinnies" in the movie was a tad bit harsh for their part, the gritty-ness of "modern-war" was I guess pretty much portrayed in the movie, very "Anti-war" IMHO. Certainley no "Apocalypse Now", or "Full Metal Jacket".

I have the hardbound version of Platoon! Hehe!

With regards to Libris book, I second the comment, I remember seeing a lot of nice autobiographise in their stall at the Glorietta before. The owner runs a mailing list of sorts, one which hasn't been active lately.

Oh now, another "internet fast". (:-)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 12:40 AM UTC
Ayay! Intelligence reports say that the glass case that covers the whone table of Gundam dio has collapse! Maraming kits na nadamage!
jomz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ayay! Intelligence reports say that the glass case that covers the whone table of Gundam dio has collapse! Maraming kits na nadamage!

Wow, instant weathering. :-)
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 02:30 PM UTC
I'm sorry these only came out now.

The group, sans myself. You've seen everyone here except for GIB on the far right. This is the last pic I was able to take before that guy at Toy Kingdom berated me again.

Shonen Red's entry to the Gundam contest

Two other competing gundams, with a yummy looking baking soda snow cover.

Nga pala, what happened to the contest? Kelan ang judging?
 _GOTOTOP