_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Researching lighting for model building
amrogers3
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hello, I am a new member here and this is my first post.

I am trying to find a good desk light/lamp to use at my desk for model building. I read that flourescent lights are hard on the eyes. Can anyone recommend a desk lamp that would provide great lighting and not strain the eyes?

Thanks in advance.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC
I will let others recommend the actual lights. I would just add that having multiple lights is a good idea, to eliminate shadows and whatnot. Me myself, I work in my garage, so I have 2 flood lamps on the ceiling, and then 2 desk lamps that are on linkages to be able to move around as I need. This is in addition to the general strip florescents I have in the garage.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC
Hi Eric, and welcome to Armorama!
Get Ott-Lites. They are the best in the industry for hobby and artist's lighting. The bulbs are daylight balanced for true color rendering and are glare free. They have both desk top models and free standing lights. You simply cannot buy a better light for model building.
You can shop around online. Also, Michael's or Jo-Ann craft stores run sales on them regularly.
I have 8 of them!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 09:38 AM UTC
I've found flourescent lights provide truer color than halogens and produce a lot less heat. Several art supply stores and walmart have desk-top flourescent lamps. LED lights also produce less heat and provide close to true color. Right now, I have two flourescent desk lamps and a led strip set up on the wall behind my bench. No shadows from any angle and they work well for photography.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hi Eric

I would go with an ott-light, they are the best daylight balanced lighting. I have a 13 watt desktop model I've been using for about 8 years now.. and I have floor model with a flexable neck I use with it for more light over the bench. I don't have any problems with eyestrain with them.

A.C. Moore and Michales arts and crafts carry them and those two store regulary have 40% off coupons in local weekly papers..

amrogers3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback. I am glad I found this forum, been trying to find a site dedicated to model building.

Are the OTT lites florescent? The OTT lights don't seem to be considered florescent but using something called 508 technology.

So no problems with eye strain?

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 06:56 AM UTC
Ott - Lite bulbs look like small fluorescent bulbs but they are not. They use a different proprietary gas and coating. They provide bright, glare free daylight color balanced light and prevent eye strain.
amrogers3
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 01:21 PM UTC
Sounds exactly what I am looking for. Thanks again for the help
 _GOTOTOP