TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
GREATEST TANK BATLES -really??
chicom
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
While I can not even begin to list the inaccuracies that fill this Military Channel program, I do hope it is not indicative of the new generation of historic "references" that some will rely on. (Will Kursk and the fighting around the "Chinese Farm" in 1973 be covered, or are these "Greatest Tank Battles" not worthy??) Watching this show gives me greater appreciation of the true technical historians that use this forum and who do not subscribe to the "never let the details get in the way of a good story" crowd.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
And this applies to Armor Modeling how? Please leave your gripes about bad TV in the TV, Movies, Games Forum, not here.
UM83CANES
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
This may come as a shock, but “The History Channel” is a private for profit cable television station. Due to the capitalist nature of our economy they are forced to play to ‘the lowest common denominator’ when it comes to generating market shares and capturing viewership in order to insure a profit.

While poring over post action reports etc in great detail might please you or I, unfortunately that’s just not going to fly with the broad spectrum of viewers who are looking to be entertained. At least with the “Greatest Tank Battles” series the History Channel is attempting to teach its viewers a little something about history.

But by all means, continue your elitist diatribe and rip the show apart – I suspect your reward will be stations doing no historically based programming at all and the History Channel will show nothing but “Pawn Stars” reruns 24/7…
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,160 Posts
KitMaker Network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
Military Channel is Discovery Networks not part of the History Channel networks. History has its own military oriented channel, though I've never seen it. I'll watch Greatest Tank Battles if there's nothing else on. You just have to take it with a grain of salt. It's watered down and simplified.
lone-ronin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
There was an episode on the '73 War, and I saw that one about Kursk is coming up in the next couple of weeks. I rather enjoy hearing the veterans memories of the incidents. There are definitely worse things on.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There was an episode on the '73 War, and I saw that one about Kursk is coming up in the next couple of weeks. I rather enjoy hearing the veterans memories of the incidents. There are definitely worse things on.

Its gotta be better than "Pawn Stars" "Ice Road Truckers" and Larry the Cable Guy teaches you Amurrikann History. Personally, and to bring this somewhat on topic, I look at the footage. Hopefully the'll be something that I haven't seen before (though it won't necessarily be what the narration says it is) and maybe that will help with some ideas on stowage, etc.
TankTurk74
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 15 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
I think the show is pretty good all things considered. Yes, I have noted some inaccuracies but that is understandable and it does not take away from the story too much. I like the intertwining of the veteran’s stories and the graphics that help to bring the story to life. I too am waiting on some of the other great battles like Kursk and Villers Bocage but I suppose they can’t hit them all in the first season. I give the show a solid 8, it could be better but pretty good as is in my book.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,854 Posts
KitMaker Network: 91 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
I actually really enjoy the show overall. It helps put me in the right mindset for building scale armor, and it is inspiring regardless of any accuracy issues and/or oversimplification. Remember that it is intended for entertainment, not for research.
jowady
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 115 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
I don't get the Military Channel, just the history channel and I take most of with a grain of salt. I did enjoy "Dogfights" and am working on a Mustang largely because of it, I also enjoyed the 360 series on Enterprise, I just wish someone made a good 1/700th scale model of her. I didn't care for the 360 on Patton, I felt tthat the animation paled in comparison, and I got tired of seeing Stuarts rear up on firing their 37mms as though they were 88s!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 10:55 AM UTC
I think this series is fantastic, and I watch every episode eagerly. Most shows on tank battles show arrows on maps interspersed with stills or 3 second clips. The computer animation is damn good and for the first time gives the viewer a ground level first person view of a tank firefight. The maneuver and chatter among the crews gives a good feeling of how things go on. I'm a mechanized combat veteran and I find a lot more positive in the episodes than negative. There are some small inaccuracies and they don't cover every second, but it's a TV show, not a tactical after action analysis. It's highly entertaining and informative, I give the series a huge thumbs up!
Berlin45
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 96 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
Uh oh. Somebody posted in the wrong forum again. Sure got lots of good exposure and comments though!