_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
6.3 quake
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 11,669 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 08:07 AM UTC
Take some time from modeling folks and be mindful of their suffering in Christchurch NZ.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41709359/
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 12:25 PM UTC
the footage coming out of NZ is shocking my thoughts and oprayers are with my ANZAC brethren
McIvan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 64 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
Unfortunately a very very shallow and very close 6.3 earthquake...technically an aftershock from the 7.1 that hit the same city in Sept last year, but far more destructive.

The epicentre distance of five to 10km from the city was unfortunately perfect for generating maximum sideways movement. Apparently it generated 1.8Gs of sideways and vertical motion, and buildings already weakened simply couldn't take it....and from what I'm reading not many buildings anywhere could have taken it without damage...think an 8.0 earthqauke at more "normal" depths.

An engineer we know has spent the last couple of days assessing the central city and up to half of it will have to come down.

The timing of just before 1pm in a weekday afternoon could not have been worse....the country is expecting several hundred dead and thousands injured in a city of 350,000. Hopefully no one from the Kitmaker forums was among them.
 _GOTOTOP