_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Alternatives to Tamiya paint in Philippines?
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hey guys,

I was wondering where you guys get paints for brush-painting here. I've tried Tamiya acrylics (the most common model paint here) and they've crapped out on me so far, especially the whites (which just dont go on evenly no matter what). Any suggestions for acrylics?
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 09:19 PM UTC
Try the Enamels. They're not advisable for airbrushing but they work very well on brush painting. Welcome by the way!!! :-) :-)
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 10:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

I was wondering where you guys get paints for brush-painting here. I've tried Tamiya acrylics (the most common model paint here) and they've crapped out on me so far, especially the whites (which just dont go on evenly no matter what). Any suggestions for acrylics?

Welcome to the Army, mistah! ^___^ (modeling army, that is...)

Acrylics? Ako rin e...Hnde ko rin gusto yun...Pra kseng madaling matuyo sa paintbrush, kaya yun tuloy, parang markang marka yung strokes....I do figures kse..

You can try the ff: (available here in the Philippines..)

ACADEMY Enamels - Works great...May strange scent nga lng....
Tamiya Enamels - Mas maganda, or hnde lng ako sanay sa Acrylic...
TESTOR's Model Master - OK rin...Pra rin kagaya sa ACADEMY paints...
MR. COLOR SPRAY - I find it easier to ue than Tamiya Spray Cans...Pwede kse yung papitik-pitik style na spraying....Pra hnde sayang yung paint..^___^
REEVES ARTIST OILS - Pang washes...

Marami pang paints out there...Yung iba, hnde ko pa nasusubukan....Sabi nga nila, experience is the best teacher, so you can also try out other paints and stick dun sa paint na OK pra sayo....

GOOD LUCK!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC
As for me, I don't use acrylics. I used them once but they ain't suited to me. Better ask Jeepney. He uses acrylics. I suggest you use enamels. BTW, white paints are really a pain in the neck for all kinds. This include spray cans, enamels and acrylics. The best way to use it is by repainting it. Start with a single coat, let it dry and coat again. That way you'll achieve white and BTW, keep the fresh paint away from dust etc. It will really ruin the clean white job. As for me, I don't use white, instead, I do a mixture of less light grey and more white. It look almost like white IMO. The best way to achieve a clean white is by Airbrushing and doing a recoat.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 02:23 PM UTC
With regard to acrylics, particularly Tamiya's, they are in my experience quite hard to apply by brush. One needs I reckon unthinned paint or several (read: LOTS) of applications by brush. For brush painting, enamels are still the best IMO, and even lacquer paints would do.

As for acrylics in general, I like 'em. Less toxic, easier to clean, and smells like alcohol. I use them a lot, followed by lacquer. I rarely find meself using enamel paints nowadays, except for minor detail painting.
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 01:25 PM UTC
Tamiya acrylics are indeed difficult to apply by brush. Believe me I tried until I received manna from heaven in the form of an Aztek 4709. The paint grains are big. I don't know how many hours are required to stir the stuff. I ruined one bottle of Tamiya acrylic White when I tried diluting it with alcohol. I'm a wuss though so I haven't tried anything else. The ease of cleanup make me stick to acrylics. The fact that I can use 70% isopropyl alcohol and/or water for thinner and cleaner also helps
blank
Visit this Community
entire network: 190 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:16 PM UTC
Thanks guys! BTW, kumusta ang book fair sa megamall? I read about it on the forums, but I was busy this weekend so I couldnt go
jomz
Visit this Community
entire network: 543 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2003 - 10:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys! BTW, kumusta ang book fair sa megamall? I read about it on the forums, but I was busy this weekend so I couldnt go

Check out the thread on the AAR Op. Lils, GI has a rundown of what he got.
rysorne
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 115 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2003 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey guys,

White paints #:-) much better to use in airbrush for brush painting either enamel or acrylic I think mahirap sa brush unless perfect mona sa brush. I preferred to use Testors & Model Master white enamel is good for AB w/ 20 % thinner.
 _GOTOTOP