_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Quick/Easy Homemade Spray booth
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
This isn't going to sound very "well done" but it takes maybe 5min, and works wonders.

I bought a Rubbermaid tote from Canadian Tire for $7 - doesn't matter what size, bigger is better, more room.

I then removed the lid and placed it with the open side down on the table.

From there, i drew lines on a diagonal from the bottom front corner, up to about the halfway mark of the bottom, straight across to the other side, and down from there to meet the other front bottom corner. And cut this with a sharp #11 blade.

What you're left with is a nice "box" to work in. The sides are angled up from the desk so you can spray from off the model, across to the other side without worry.

I also taped scrap paper across the inside to make sure paint sticks and does not run down the plastic tub and onto my workspace.

If this is at all confusing, ask, and I'll elaborate. Hope this helps someone!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A picture is better than 1000 words

Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
I know

Maybe I'll put some up soon. Need to find a free image hosting site first!
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
AS requested:

Front view, the top is the bottom of the rubbermaid tub. I cut it this way because I knew the opening where the lid was was almost guaranteed to be flat.

There's more room than you'd think in there! I also think I might cut the top all the way back, but leave the sides where they are.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
Interesting idea. One question/observation. Where does all of the atomized paint go? Think this would be a problem with no fan or filter.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 01:08 AM UTC
I'm thinking about maybe cutting a hole in the side, and installing a computer fan. Once wired this might help with SOME of that. Otherwise, I'll just be in close proximity to a window, and using a mask. I don't have the money for anything else thus far, and it seems to serve my purpose. No problems yet.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
If I am to install a fan/vent in this booth, does anyone have an idea of how strong it would need to be? Would a few computer fans suffice? Or is this a go big or go home scenario?
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 06:45 AM UTC
A bigger fan would be better. The small computer fans will be overwhelmed pretty quickly. Paint will build up on the fan blades and will quit drawing air too. Until you can afford a better set up, use that open window and mask you were mentioning. "Q"
ps. You can google constructing a home built paint booth to find out size, fan requirements etc. That is how I got the specs on mine. Unfortunately, I don't have the site saved.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Okay great, thanks! I've got a good mask (I spray pesticides at work so I must have my own) we've got all the inserts too so I should be good. Just worried about others.

Might see if I can find some decent sized fans that are quiet, and mount them into the back of the box with a filter perhaps? I know thats basically a spray booth so as long as I keep it inexpensive I'd like to let people know how it all went!
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
yo
i'm building a homemade spray booth aas well. i 'm waiting on a payday i can get er done, lol. basically a plastic holdall, 92 quart. lie it on its side. mark off area for fan installation, most exhaust fans have templates for whats needed. the exhaust fan is around 15 bucks at home depot, it moves approximately 50-70 cubic feet per minute. you have to wire your own plug fo the fan, at this point i will put in an off/on switch. your filtration system is simple. before you begin take your holdall and go to ac/heat filter section at home depot. fit the filter to the inside by pressing down on it untill it stops due to being wedged. this should be at a point above where the fan face will be. the exhaust fan should move enough air to suffice. you will have to buy the exhaust ductwork to run outside. wala, about 40 bucks and ya up and running. as for lighting i use my droplights, i just hang it on the side.

just sayin
reb
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:59 AM UTC
hey,
this is my setup. nothing fancy, but cheap. I was thinking on ordering something more "professional" but shipping on these things is pretty high.

rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:51 PM UTC
way cool, sorta what mine will look like, thanks for the pic too, now i an show it to wife and she will better understand

reb
'
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC
looks great!

ill install a fan in mine and wire it to a plug so it can be moved around. i'll post some pictures a.s.a.p.
 _GOTOTOP