_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Bought some new supplies, waste my $$$?
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
I went out and bought some supplies tonight - most of which I'm happy about; some new brushes, artists foam "blocks", crazy glue, cutting mat, and some smooth needle nose pliers.

I also bought a small rubbermaid tub that I thought I could turn into a decent "spray booth". I'm going to cut it in half on a diagonal, leaving sides for overspray and a small bit of the top for spray up the back. I may even tape in scrap paper behind it so I know the paints going to stick well. This could also be turned into a make-shift photo booth by draping some white fabric (when the paints dry that is) from the top to the front of your table, leaving a curve at the back.

I also wanted to get some Future floorpolish, as I know its good preactice to spray this over your model prior to decals, correct? If I'm wrong, please correct me, if not... I seemed to have bought "Pledge" WITH "future" so I'm not sure if this will do the job, or is completely ruined by having Pledge in it.

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text!
thegirl
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 6,743 Posts
KitMaker Network: 456 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:24 PM UTC
You are safe to go with Pledge with future . I have been using this now for 4 years and never had any iusse with it .
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
Awesome thanks for the help!
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
Yeah, it's the same Future, they just changed the name.
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 06:00 PM UTC
I don't like Future for glossing for decals or for that matter for anything, I get just as good glossey results with MM High gloss,or Floquil High Gloss, Chrystal Coat it's cheaper also. Future here in my area is $9.00 per bottle ouch. ACESES5 ON BENCH DML STUG111 AUSF G 1/35
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 597 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't like Future for glossing for decals or for that matter for anything, I get just as good glossey results with MM High gloss,or Floquil High Gloss, Chrystal Coat it's cheaper also. Future here in my area is $9.00 per bottle ouch. ACESES5 ON BENCH DML STUG111 AUSF G 1/35

Wow, even at the "expensive" grocery stores here in Minneapolis, a 32oz jug of Future is less than $5.00. And I bought mine over 2 years ago, and it's only half empty.
Thivi11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Yeah mine wasn't too expensive either. And its a decent sized bottle. Everyone seems to have good luck with it so I'll give it a shot. If I don't like it I'll try the aforementioned.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
Even at $9 a bottle, heck even at $20 a bottle, Future is much cheaper than any of the "model" based glosses out there for the amount you get in the future bottle.

For $9, I would assume that it was a 1L bottle (quart, whatever), for that price you would only get about 2 cans at 3oz each of the Model Master, or Floquil.
 _GOTOTOP