_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Whats this stuff used for ???
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi All
I need some help with some products that I bought. They are made by Gunze Sangyo and they are called Mr. Surfacer 1000 and 500, and Mr. Retarder Mild.
Now I think that the Mr. Surfacer 1000 and 500 are be used like a thin sort of putty, used to fill fine lines. And I think the Mr. Retarder Mild is to keep acrylic paints from drying to fast, but am not sure.
If any one knows about these items, or of any web sites that would give me the skinny on these two products, please let me know.

I know you guys won't let me down !

Thanks All ('m:-)')

brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
Hi tek2, I found this on a modeling forum, hope it helps.

I have been using Mr. Surfacer 1000 for a while now and have found it to be a wonderful tool. I use it as a follow-up to normal putty work to fill in those occasional little pits or cracks in the putty following sanding. It is a quick and easy alternative to re-puttying because of it's faster drying time. My only recommendations to you is that since this product (probably) contains talc or like-ingredient, you may want to consider dedicating a specific brush and thinner wash bottle for cleaning to avoid contamination of regular paints.

Shake the bottle well (1 minute plus) , unscrew cap and place upside
> down on the neck of the bottle. Inside the cap is a tiny hemispherical
> well, which holds a few brushfulls. Apply to small cracks / seams /
> "divots" or gouges using a 3/0 , 5/0, 7/0, or 10/0, "spotter" artist's
> brush. Will dry in less than 1 minute - continue to apply until you've
> filled sufficiently - it's like a thick paint or thin primer/surfacer.
> Wait overnight before sanding to allow to shrink/cure completely, then
> sand with manicure board, fine wet-dry emery paper, or 3M softback
> sanding sponge.
>
> Clean brushes or thin with lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol.

You can also "wet" remove on delicate areas using a Q-Tip wet with denatured alcohol (carefully - you can soften the MS very easily)- this is the reducer used in MS and will NOT hurt styrene. You can thus use MS to "Blend" a transparency into an opaque section or to fill that pesky wing root seam.

sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 379 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 04:20 AM UTC
Just to add - Gunze also makes "Mr. Thinner" the best thinning/cleaning agent for Mr. Surfacer. I've found that other solvents- mineral spirits, laquer thinner- leave a residue of the brush. Mr. Thinner cleans the brushes up very well.

Peter
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 05:04 AM UTC
My turn! My turn! Mr. Retarder Mild is indeed an acrylic paint 'extender' and will slow down the drying time. Gunze-Sangyo recommends a 20% mix for handbrushing and a 10% mix for airbrushing.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 05:11 AM UTC
I like to use 500 and 1000 for mud and dirt effects, and texuring of surfaces on AFV models. It's great for small seam filling and if you want to replicate a sand-cast effect like on some US AFV's then this is good stuff to use. For mud and dirt effect, like between areas underneath a tank's sponson or between road wheels, stippling this one before painting is a good way to go too.

Gunnie
tek2
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 156 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 11:12 AM UTC
Thanks Guys !!!
I knew you guys woudn't let me down. I thought I knew what this stuff was, but I know you guy's knew for sure. I hope that the Retarder will work with other than GS brand acrylic paints cause I don't have any. I use Tamiya & MM exclusively. and yes I also bought the thinner.
Till next time
Thanks again
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
I don't see why the Retarder wouldn't work with other brands, but you will want to experiment to find the right ratio.
 _GOTOTOP