Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
US ARMY(82nd Airborne Division)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 - 01:26 PM UTC
I usually check through my spam folder before deleting, to ensure there is no valid mails there. Its normally full with some very friendly fellows from Africa wishing to send me millions of dollars!
Today I found a new take on the same sort of scam .....

E-mail subject; Can we do this?

Greetings

My name is Col.Patrick Hermann, a Col in the US Army,a West Point Graduate presently serving in the Military of the 1st Brigade, 82nd Infantry
Division, "Devils in Baggy Pants" or "Devil Brigade. Peace keeping force in Baghdad, Iraq, and i am seriously in need of your help in assisting me
with the safe keeping of two military trunk boxes which has just arrived the USA, and it has your name and address as
the legal beneficiary to the boxes. You can view the link below for more info, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm
Please can you be trusted on this?

If you can, do let me know,and get back to me as quickly as you can. I am also sorry if i have crossed the line by sending the
boxes to you without your knowledge, but i can explain better. First, i need to know if you can be fully trusted?if you can, Let me here from you today, and i would highlight you more on everything.

Col.Hermann,
U.S.A Army.

Anybody interested? Dont think the author is even American .... take a look at some of the Grammer!
If they have my address and arrived in the US, its going to take more than trust for me take care of these

8)
Tank178
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 06:55 PM UTC
I am calling crap on this. If the author of that email was a real officer, he would know that the "Devils In Baggy Pants" is actually a regiment, not a brigade. They are the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR). The regiments nickname was given to them by the Germans in WWII. Funny how these scam artists get some correct information but botch the rest!
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC
There's only one person in the US Army who's first initial begins with the letter "P" and last name is Hermann, and it is a chief warrant officer. There is only one colonel with the last name Hermann in the US Army, and he's not an active duty soldier. The only active duty officer with that last name is a lieutenant.

Only active duty soldiers can close a letter "U.S. Army" and notice is it U.S. Army and not U.S.A. Army. We're the United States Army, not the United States of America Army.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
That's also not your standard Army officer signature block, but I don't want to give these Nigerian clowns too much information. You'd think they'd do a little research before trying to pull off a scam!

Jim
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 2,116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,015 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
My 2 cents worth......My Son currentlyserves ( Last 2 1/2 years) in the 82ND AB, 3-319 Devils in Baggy Pants, 504th PIR and....he has never heard of Col Hermann.... milvehfan
Tank178
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 92 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 12:27 AM UTC
Oh yeah, forgot to add that the proper abbreviation for Colonel is COL, not Col.