_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Blu-Tak
611_sqd
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 470 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC
Its Blu-Tak in Australia and the kids here in canada call it sticky tak. Its the stuff you use for putting posters on the wall and I have seen modelers use it for camo masking. I tried it once and it worked great for the mask, but it left little bits of itself on the kit which took a good couple of hours to remove. Is there a way to not have it stick to the plane?
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC
I use White-Tac, from the same people that do blue-tac... It's a bit less sticky.

The easiest way to get rid of blue or white-tac is to get a big 'blob' & roll it over the recalcitrant bit.

It helps if you put the model in a bag & pop it in the freezer for a hour, it gets less grippy when cold.
611_sqd
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks i'll give it a go.
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 1,923 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
To avoid any marks on flat surface and ease removing white tac I first apply one layer of clear gloss on base color
Fermis
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use White-Tac, from the same people that do blue-tac... It's a bit less sticky.

The easiest way to get rid of blue or white-tac is to get a big 'blob' & roll it over the recalcitrant bit.

It helps if you put the model in a bag & pop it in the freezer for a hour, it gets less grippy when cold.

Ditto that! I haven't ever had to stick it in the freezer though, just pulled it off with another little glob. It always seems to leave a bit behind, the first few times you use it. Over time though, as paint gets mixed in, that problem goes away. Once it gets to where it doesn't want to stick anymore, add a little bit of new stuff to it. I have about a golfball size glob that have had for years. Once old, it helps to knead and stretch it for a few minutes to warm it up a bit, then it'll stick good.

Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC
Like Jon, I'm a regular user of white-tack (Pritt sticky tac) as well. From what I've heard, the regular blu tac can leave greasy stains more easily.
The sticky tac can also leave marks, but I've only had those on surfaces painted with flat paints and when the sticky tac had been left in place for longer periods of time, like several days. The gloss before decaling got rid of that though.
Never had a problem with it sticking to the surface. Whatever small pieces possibly remain after removal, can be rolled over with piece of tac, as Jon already mentioned.

611_sqd
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 01:04 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies.

I have not done a lot of camo and need a way to do mask it easily. Tac seems to be the most used.
 _GOTOTOP