_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Xuron cutters and shears
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Y'all,
I was asked by SWMBO what I would like for my birthday and my thumb and I have decided it's time I bite the bullet and order some decent sprue cutters.

Popular opinion seems to be that the Xuron cutters (410T or 410A) are the best on the market, but I was wondering, as I'm doing more photo-etch now, whether it is worthwhile getting a pair of their photo-etch shears (9180ET)as well (while the wife's buying).
My question really is, will using the 410's on PE blunt and degrade their performance or are they so well made they can handle both plastic sprues and photo-etch?

Regards,Lucien
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
Lucien,

I have the Xuron PE Shears, which are great, but I've bought decent electrical cutters for removing parts from sprues.

I think you would be much happier to have the PE Shears for PE and the Cutters for plastic.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC
The 410 cutters are designed for plastic, and won't really cut metal all that well. I ruined a pair cutting small music wire for antennas.

The PE shears are great, like a hot knife going through butter really, just make sure you only use them for cutting PE, as if they got damaged cutting something else, they wouldn't cut PE very well anymore. Mind you...they would probably cut styrene fine without any ill effects.
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 05:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies Jeff and Scott.
That settles it then, a set of 410's for the plastic and the 9180ET for the brass. Supplementary question, anyone know which are more useful the 410A(smooth finish) or the 410T(tight spaces)?

I have to settle for tools or paints from the wife, she refuses to buy me any more kits until the stash count gets below 20. So now I tell her she has to help me buy the tools and consumables that will enable that reduction. Though, as nearly everyone here can attest, that aint ever gonna happen. The best she can hope for is "Build one, buy one"
majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
From the looks of it, I would pick the Xuron High Precision Hobby Shear - 410T, since it should cut in tighter places.

This probably would come in handy for dealing with large sprue gates like the ones DML prefers.
HawkeyeV
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 319 Posts
KitMaker Network: 184 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
You might want to look at the NEW Professional Scale Modeling Tools from Xuron.

2175ET Pro Sprue Cutter http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2008/11/15/xurons-new-professional-sprue-cutter/

9180ET Pro PE Scissors http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/2010/01/31/xurons-new-pro-pe-cutter-sneak-peek/

The 410 was good, but we've made a vastly superior tool with the new designs. Yours truly designed both of these!

majjanelson
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
It ALWAYS happens!

I bought a set of Xuron PE Shears not long ago, and guess what, Xuron comes out with a newer, BETTER set of PE Shears!

Can I trade in my never-been-used set for the new ones?
imdead
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 10:53 AM UTC
lol i love xuron tools i have the photo etch pro shears just got them there amazing also have the pro cutters but to be honest i love my 410a very smooth cut i feel that they cut better then the pro cutters . the regular 410 cutters are great also but the 410a have a flusher smoother cut. amazon has xuron cutters for a great price and if you sign up for the trial rime membership which is free you get free 2 day shipping . then after 30 day just cancel the membership. i got a brand new 410a for 9 dollars and free shipping. DONT USE THE 410 A OR T TO USE FOR PHOTO ETCH IT WONT HARM THE BLADE BUT THE OVERLAPPING SHEAR ACTION WILL RUIN THE THIN PHOTO ETCH THATS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
For my pe work, I use a pair of scissors I got from Harbor Freight(a hobby tool assortment). They work great. for cutting styrene, I use a cheap pair of wire cutters and a razor knife. After all of the cutting, I sand down any excess styrene.
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Thanks Gerald,
I folowed your advice and ordered the 2175ET Pro Sprue Cutter and the 9180ET Pro PE Scissors. They arrived a couple of days ago and the sprue cutters have already been put to good use.
I'm able to cut much closer to the part than previously (though I still trim with a #11 blade and sand). No more need to cut half a sprue gate away when working with the delicate parts.

SWMBO will get a foot rub for buying me these, but I won't trim her toenails with them.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
entire network: 1,507 Posts
KitMaker Network: 195 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
well, I have them, and while I do use them, I find that I use my x-acto knife more to cut off PE parts.
RainstoryX
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:44 PM UTC
The PE shears are great, like a hot knife going through butter really, just make sure you only use them for cutting PE, as if they got damaged cutting something else, they wouldn't cut PE very well anymore. Mind you...they would probably cut styrene fine without any ill effects.I have to settle for tools or paints from the wife, she refuses to buy me any more kits until the stash count gets below 20. So now I tell her she has to help me buy the tools and consumables that will enable that reduction. Though, as nearly everyone here can attest, that aint ever gonna happen. The best she can hope for is "Build one, buy one
I wish get moreCheap Maplestory MesosRS GoldandRift Goldthen I will be strong!!aha!
 _GOTOTOP