_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New to Modelling
Catfish787
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hello everyone, I am relatively new to modeling and would like some good advice from many of you "gurus". I got my first military model kit the other day, a Tamiya Honomag Sdkfz25. I don't have a problem building any of the models, but I would like some tips, links or anything to help paint it. I don't have any airbrushes by the way, only paint brushes.
I need help on many things like:
•How do I clean my brush properly?
•What consistency should my paint be and how do I make it thinner/thicker?
•Any other tips on how to paint military vehicles?
•What tools should I have to paint the model properly?

I will appreciate any help. Thank you.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC
+ What colors do you use? Different colors need different cleaners

+ What tips on painting are you looking for? Camouflage patterns or general painting tips? Or "weathering" (Making a vehicle look "used")

+ Even tools depend on the color used. I.e Revell or Tamiya need more stuff than Valleyo

As for tools: Brushes, some small, low containers to mix or thin colors (Tamiya has some flat metal cups but the screw caps from a coffein-laces carbonated drink also work). Depending on the colors used a small pipette for drawing paint or thinner might be useful
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
Welcome to the world of modelling! Your kit, which I have built a few times, is a good starting point for beginners. It's a quick and easy build.

For paints I suggest acrylics to start, as they can be thinned with rubbing alcohol and brushes cleaned with soap and water. Testors or Vallejo make some pretty good ones. If you decide on enamels, humbrol or Testors Model Masters are ok, but there are plenty of options. Other supplies are old rags or paper towel, stir sticks (liberate them from Starbucks or McDonald's), small containers or lids for paint stirring/mixing, these can be found around the house. I would suggest hand brushing in panzer grey, this will be easier to pull off than dark yellow. You can also try gluing or tying the tracks down on the road wheels a bit for a more realistic look. You could maybe add some dark yellow stripes over the panzer grey, too - not a common scheme but it did happen.
When you hand paint, paint in sections, and avoid repeated painting over the same spot as this will increase brush marks and affect the flat finish as well.

Search Armorama for painting and weathering advice, there's lots here! Good luck!
ethanallen
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC
I'm new to modelling too I can already see so many stuff I can learn here.
 _GOTOTOP