_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
What is the best putty?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hey guys, I am currently using Squadron white putty for all of my filling needs. What is the best putty for filling sinkmarks, gaps, and ejector pin marks?
Automaton
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi Matt

In my opinion, the best putty available by far is Tamiya standard gray. It's been off the market in the US for a while now (I heard it's some kind of Big Brother/nanny state issue regarding the warning labels on the tube not being in English), but if you're on ebay you can get it for a pretty reasonable price from some Hong Kong sellers. I ordered a bulk stash of it about a year ago--it seems to have a pretty long shelf life in unopened tubes.

It has the best working properties of any putty I've ever used, but you have to dispense and use it in small quantities, as it dries very quickly.

Another alternative is 3M Acryl Blue automotive glazing putty. A lot of people swear by it, but I don't like it as well as Tamiya for modeling purposes. If you decide to try it, you can probably find it at Carquest.

HTH;

Automaton
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 06:16 AM UTC
I agree with Automaton
Tamiya standard (withe or gray) is the best standard putty on sale.
It' s easy to spread and dries quickly.
It doesn't shrink too much when is cured.
You can solve it with Tamiya lacquer thinner and you can apply it with a brush. This way you can do small filler with more cleanliness and precision.
You can also smooth it with Tamiya lacquer thinner without damaging the kit.
tamiya putty solved with his thinner (or with acetone) is the best solution to depict casting iron surfaces
List, but not last is CHEAP...(here in Europe costs 3 euros...about 4 USD. Actually I don't know if is cheap in the USA...)

cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 01:21 AM UTC
Guess I'll be tacking Tamiya putty on my list for Luckymodel.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC

The best putty I've used is the squadron white putty. I've never used the Tamiya gray so I don't know how good that is..

SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 05:13 PM UTC
I have used all the putties mentioned so far. I settled on Bondo spot putty (used for auto body work) as my favorite stuff. It just does everything perfectly and it's easy to get and super cheap. Make sure you get the one part stuff in the tube.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 05:43 PM UTC
Matt, A member here suggested that I mix Squadron white with nail polish remover. It thins it out a bit and makes it easier to work with. It also wont dry as fast. I used it to cover a Tiger with then took a hobby knife and molded it into Zimm
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 07:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have used all the putties mentioned so far. I settled on Bondo spot putty (used for auto body work) as my favorite stuff. It just does everything perfectly and it's easy to get and super cheap. Make sure you get the one part stuff in the tube.

I have a tube of the red stuff. I used it until I bought Squadron white putty. I did seem to do a very good job. I'll try it on one of my current projects and compare the difference.
[quote]Matt, A member here suggested that I mix Squadron white with nail polish remover. It thins it out a bit and makes it easier to work with. It also wont dry as fast....[quote]
I'll have to try this. I'm thinking I'll mix it with a little IPA and see if that does the trick.
Thanks for all of the responses.
 _GOTOTOP