History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Major Dick Winters - BoB - Passes Away - RIP
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 08:19 AM UTC
Farewell to WWII hero Maj. Dick Winters, central character in 'Band of Brothers'Stokes Young writes:Major Dick Winters passed away Jan. 2 in central Pennsylvania following a battle with Parkinson's Disease. If you've read Stephen Ambrose's book or watched the HBO miniseries, you'll likely already have mental pictures of Winters' acts of heroism during harsh fighting in Europe during the Second World War. This is what he looked like in 1945:

Easy Company's William Guarnere, 88, told the AP today: "When he said 'Let's go,' he was right in the front [...] He was never in the back. A leader personified."

Winters told his own story in 'Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters,' and begins his first chapter by describing the "quiet peace" he says every soldier wants to find:

I am still haunted by the names and faces of young men, young airborne troopers who never had the opportunity to return home after the war and begin their lives anew. Like most veterans who have shared the hardship of combat, I live with flashbacks--distant memories of an attack on a battery of German artillery on D-Day, an assault on Carentan, a bayonet attack on a dike in Holland, the cold of Bastogne[...] If you had a man who was killed, you looked at him and hoped that he had found peace in death. I'm not sure whether they were fortunate or unfortunate to get out of the war so early. So many men died so that others could live. No one understands why.
To find a quiet peace is the dream of every soldier. For some it takes longer than others. In my own experience I have discovered that it is far easier to find quiet than to find peace. True peace must come from within oneself. As my wartime buddies join their fallen comrades at an alarming rate, distant memories resurface. The hard times fade and the flashbacks go back to friendly times, to buddies with whom I shared a unique bond, to men who are my brothers in every sense of the word. I live with these men every day.

God's Speed Major Winters -

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 07:57 PM UTC
A truly inspiring man, and a role model ever since I first read the book in the late 1990ies. Rest in peace!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 1,973 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 08:22 PM UTC
A Member of the Greatest Generation.

RIP Major Winters.

Said : "If you can,find that peace within yourself,. That peace and quiet and confidence that you can pass on to others, so that they know that you are honest ,and you are fair and will help them, no matter what, when the chips are down. That is important."

When people asked whether he was a hero, he echoed the words of his World War II buddy Mike Ranney: "No, but I served in a company of heroes."

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 04:31 AM UTC
A sad day,A natural leader,hero,and humble man to boot.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,016 Posts
KitMaker Network: 237 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 05:11 AM UTC
Gutted, the man was a true legend and such a humble man,I shed a tear when I watch BOB's last disc
I wonder if Damian Lewis will go to the funeral,I think he should, Heros dont come much bigger than Richard Winters.
R.I.P Dick,this world needs people like you now
Andy
Treadhead12
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 162 Posts
KitMaker Network: 45 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
Another one gone. Just found out today.

At least we did learn of what he did, and others of his unit in the book and mini-series.

RIP Major Winters.
Bigrip74
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 5,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 461 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC

Bob
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
entire network: 2,435 Posts