History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Suggestions for Weapon Display
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 443 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 02:30 AM UTC
I have to set up a display of influential firearms. In order to obtain them I have to compile a wishlist to see if they are avaliable. What are your top 5 firearm and why (nothing too big as it has to be wall mounted
Cheers
Robbo
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
Any specific period, country(s), event, or other criteria?
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 01:33 AM UTC
Anything really as I have a free hand at this, I would probaly say after 1900 to stand a chance of being able to locate one for the display.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC
Mauser 1898 was the basis for most bolt action design rifles that followed up to today.
Browning model of 1911 single action pistol in .45 caliber, both for the Browning short recoil system which most pistol manufacturers still use, and the gun itself, which has a worldwide following of almost religious proportions.
M1 Garand rifle, the first semi-automatic rifle mass produced for military service.
MP-44, first assault rifle.
AK-47, most well known, iconic assault rifle in the world.
MG-42, revolutionary design in a machine gun that, with some modification, is still in service today and formed the basis around other well known designs as well.
Browning M2 HMG, still in service after over 70 years, with minimal modification. No suitable replacement has ever been found. Anti-aircraft, anti-vehicle, mount on anything.
STEN submachine gun, low cost, lightweight weapon used widely with resistance and special warfare units, and widely copied and imitated.
Browning/FN High Power (P35, HP, GP, BAP), first high capacity pistol, used by over 50 countries, widely used by both sides during WWII.
Maxim gun, 1884, the first true machine gun, transforming the world of small arms and warfare.

Just a small sampling of ideas. The list could go on and on.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 - 05:51 AM UTC
I agree whole-heartedly with Russ' list.

The Glock 17 9mm - it may not have been the first "plastic" pistol, but it has been widely used by numerous Military and Law Enforcement agencies, and has spawned hundreds of versions and makes by other manufacturers.
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the lists guys,
So far I have sourced the following weapons:
.303 Lee Metford rifle
AKM Type 56
.45 Thompson
9mm Sten
9mm Beretta Mod 38A
7.62mm GPMG
7.62mm SLR

Waiting for more to arrive.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
How about a Walther PPK? Classic 007.
For a pistol my first choice would have to be the Luger. Classic souviner/trophy. Next would have to be a Western revolver, say a Colt, purely for the romance of the "Wild West"(would look great in one of those hand tooled pistol belts).
For rifles the SMLE, SLR, M1, Winchester 30/30 lever action and Mauser. And for sub's an MP40, that Russian thing (PPShk?) and for a bit of Aussie flavour our Owen gun.
Modern I would have to go for the obvious, yep, AR15/M16 and AK47.
Trust me this is a wish list as the only one I could ever get would be the SMLE as the others are pretty much illegal unless you have a bloody good excuse to have one for a licence.
Cheers, John
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 386 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
Looks like John and Russ have pretty much got it covered. However no one mentioned the 1918 Bergmann (first practical sub machine gun). Also moderns - Uzi and Ingram anyone?
Pistols - Webley-Fosberry automatic revolver for curiosity's sake? Broomhandle Mauser.