_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
about future.
richardb
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:05 AM UTC
hi all, i have just come back to modelling after about 20 years, i keep hearing about future polish as a finish,can any one advise me on this, how to use it & where to get it. regards rich.
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
here ya go rich,all you need to know about klear.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

paul
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks Paul for that link!!! Wow, never thought Future was that great!! I love the smell of modeling on the cheap!!
richardb
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 12:38 AM UTC
Hi paul, thanks very much, i will certainly give this a try. kind regards rich.
Automaton
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 02:28 AM UTC
A lot of people swear by Future and more power to them if it works for them, but I never had much luck with it other than canopies. Too susceptible to reactions with decal solvents for one thing. I vastly prefer Testors metalizer sealer. It's a little more expensive, but very easy to spray and it cures almost instantaneously to a rock-hard, durable finish.

Regards

Automaton
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Too susceptible to reactions with decal solvents for one thing.

Let it cure for 72 hours after applying and it is as hard as a rock. Have never had a problem with Solvaset eating in to my finishes and that is about as hot a decal solvent as there is. I use solvent based washes over it as well with no problems either. Only drawback with Future that I have had is when used as a final gloss coat over a white finish it can slightly yellow over time. "Q"
Automaton
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 153 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2011 - 04:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

. . . Have never had a problem with Solvaset eating in to my finishes and that is about as hot a decal solvent as there is. I use solvent based washes over it as well with no problems either. . .

Yeah, but I'm one of those people to whom if it can happen, it's gonna happen. I guess a lot of the reason I've had trouble with future in the past is my lack of patience. Future may indeed be tough after 72 hours, but that's too far in the future for me (pun intended). Metalizer Sealer is tough in a matter of minutes, and that helps keep me out of trouble. Another thing I like about it is that it's more resistant to isopropyl alcohol, a substance I use in copious quantities for modelling (along with ethyl alcohol, sometimes).

Regards;

Automaton
 _GOTOTOP