_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Tile grout
Hip_Priest
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi all

Im just about to finish off some tiling and will be left with some extra grout. Is it feasible to use this as a base/road on a diarama? Also, any tips on if theres a use (modelling wise) on what to do with the left over tiles i.e. can you cruch em up and use them to good effect?

Any ideas muchos appreciated.

David
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 11:47 PM UTC
Tile grout is excellent for surfaces. Great for landscaping. Dont lay in very heavy layers .. takes forever to cure. If the tiles themselves are broken into small enough pieces they can be used for making rural walls and even house building stones .... build up using the tile grout.
Remamber keep 2 tiles in full. They are great for rollling out milliput, cutting items on etc. Can even make bases with them.. using tile grout for lanscaping.
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Funny thing is I am a Tile Contractor and run my own company http://www.4tatile.com and never thought about some of the products I use. I do use a tile to cut, roll or whatever else its good for. One thing that would work extremely well would be modified thinset for base work. Easy to work with,sticks extremley well to wood or just about anything and becomes as hard as a rock.Built up in layers you could do about anything.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
I have tiled before and would recommend the texture of grout. I would be concerned with the weight of it. As PB mentioned go light with thin layers.
Crushing tiles ?? Having FUBARed a few tiles, I don't know if you'll get the right size/scale affect. The glazed ones would be the hardest to get the right affect. But - if they're extra and just collecting dust - why not try.
I use them as PB mentioned - good hard smooth surface for rolling things out on.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 01:31 AM UTC
Ceramic tiles make excellent pallets, too. Dry paint scrapes right off with a safety razor. So does dried supeglue. They are make excellent surface to cut and fold PE.
Just about everytime I go to Lowes or Home Depot I toss a couple in the cart. A ton of uses for about a dollar.

Bought a really neat terra cotta one I am planning on using as a base. (Don't have to worry about that sucker warping.)

Shaun
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ceramic tiles make excellent pallets, too. Dry paint scrapes right off with a safety razor. So does dried supeglue. They are make excellent surface to cut and fold PE.

I have two ceramic tiles that I use all the time. From rolling and cutting putty, to mixing paint. Virtually nothing wet will stick to them, and if stuff dries on, scrape off with a razor blade.
 _GOTOTOP