Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
An issue of respect.
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:30 PM UTC
Firstly, I cant think of a better place to put this that does not require a separate subscription. If anyone has a better place for it, let me know.

Here is my question. Would it be disrespectful for a Civilian to wear a military coat with the unit mark of a in-service unit? I have gotten a 1995 issue Bundeswehr coat, and on each sleeve below the flag patch, there is a large patch of Velcro, and a strip for (I would assume) a name tag. I wanted to know what the arm Velcro was for, and where I could get the proper thing to put there. The response I got (Ive gotten one so far on the other forum), he said that he felt it would be disrespectful to wear the markings of a military unit in current service. What is your opinion.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:47 PM UTC
Personally I think its your coat, wear it whatever way you want. Even if they are still current, there should be no problems with a Bundeswehr coat in the States?
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:08 PM UTC
It want a nationality issue, is was a respect those who are currently fighting and dieing thing.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Unless you're pretending to be a Bundeswehr member then I don't see the problem.
Why do you want to wear the patch?

btw I feel this more properly belongs in the spare parts forum
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.... is was a respect those who are currently fighting and dieing thing.

I really canīt see how wearing a Bundeswehr coat, is showing disrespect to German soldiers. The wearing of colours usually means support. How it can mean the opposite .. I simply canīt understand.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
I don't think it would be disrespectful in the least. I know a father that wears a US Army field jacket with a unit patch on it that his son is currently assigned too as a show of support and pride in his son's service. I have a cap my son gave me with with the name of the ship he is assigned to in the navy that I wear to also show my pride and support.

As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as a Service member like some do for personal gain, I don't see a problem at all.
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:42 PM UTC
If there is no disrespect intended then your ok to where it. You should however never try to wear a complete uniform. It's not disrespectful it's against the law.
thenorm
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unless you're pretending to be a Bundeswehr member then I don't see the problem.
Why do you want to wear the patch?

op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewforum&forum_id=13&page=1]spare parts [/url] forum

The reason I would like to get a unit patch is mainly because having that on the sleeve would look better than the bare Velcro in my opinion. Anyone know where I could get such a thing?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
Ebay, Bing or google searches might yield what your looking for...
Eons ago when I was a teen, I "briefly" wore a german long coat alot of the time with...you bet...SS insignias. It wasn't a whitepower thing...just too many trips to the army surplus store and my friends wore other country's coats too! It didn't last long luckily due to a girl I started dating that didn't like it.....I eventually got rid of both.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:12 PM UTC
What about wearing your old military uniform? I was reminded of an old Andy Capp comic strip where he walks into a pub wearing his Army greatcoat, and a man spots him and mockingly refers to him as Montgomery, then asks, "What did you get the stripe for, mate? Snooker?" Andy Capp gives him a punch which knocks him across the room. The man says that he didn't get it for good conduct.