_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Working on a minicraft 1/144 B-29A BOCKSCAR
Jbaaron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC
G'day! I have recently purchased a small 1/144 B-29A Bockscar kit. I want her to look as real as humanly possible! Any one have experience in building these particular types of kits, bombers, etc. who know a little something about Bockscar who could offer some advice? "Bockscar" is the name of the B-29 that dropped the "Fat Man" bomb on Nagasaki on August 9th, 1945 ending World War II in a Japanese surrender, but I'm sure our history buffs already know this!
Any help that can be given or advice would seriously be helpful!
noypines
Visit this Community
Israel
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day! I have recently purchased a small 1/144 B-29A Bockscar kit. I want her to look as real as humanly possible! Any one have experience in building these particular types of kits, bombers, etc. who know a little something about Bockscar who could offer some advice? "Bockscar" is the name of the B-29 that dropped the "Fat Man" bomb on Nagasaki on August 9th, 1945 ending World War II in a Japanese surrender, but I'm sure our history buffs already know this!
Any help that can be given or advice would seriously be helpful!

noypines
Visit this Community
Israel
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hello, I'm Noy Pines of Noy's Miniatures / Miliscale. We've produced a large concrete & taxiway print in 1/144, especially suitable for B-29s. Please contact us at [email protected] for further details. Versions of this item can be found at http://cgi.ebay.ca/Built-Airfield-Tarmac-Diorama-Display-Surface-1-144-/320636611352?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4aa76e6b18 and at http://cgi.ebay.ca/LOT-2-x-Tarmac-Diorama-Display-Print-1-144-VERY-LARGE-/320625809671?pt=Diecast_Vehicles&hash=item4aa6c99907. Best regards, Noy.
Fermis
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:49 PM UTC
I would recommend using Model Masters Metallizer paint for the finish. You can get it in a rattlecan and it's just as good as the stuff for airbrushes. I would go with "aluminum" buffing type. You have to have absolutely flawless plastic before spraying though. Pretty much any metal finish is going to magnify any flaws. After sanding all the seams down, I'll use progressively finer grits of sandpaper, then a plain old piece of regular paper, then a rag with a bit of polishing compound (I use toothpaste) on a soft cloth. Make sure your masking has been burnished down, Metallizer paints are super thin and bleed under masking quite easily.
For a model that small, I'd say just focus on the basics...a clean build and good finish, and have fun with it! If you have any questions along the way, just ask!
Fermis
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:51 PM UTC
Almost forgot, here's a bit of inspiration!

Jbaaron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 05:49 PM UTC
Thanks for the speedy responses every one! I am going to take the basic kit and using photo references, am going to scratch build components missing from the original kit and add them to this model. Since we know that Bockscar's tail markings were changed at the time she flew her atomic mission to Nagasaki with the Triangle N and that it was returned to the circle/arrow of the 509th after wards, there are a few available options to decal placement and painting. I have chosen after some careful thought to model this beauty how she looks today at the US Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio rather than her atomic scheme. Thanks for the inspiration pic, Fermis! I have already taken the liberty of hunting for and purchasing another one of these fine kits to add to my vault. For those of us that are Bockscar fans, I look forward to sharing this custom build with you!
Keep in touch- I'll be posting soon!
 _GOTOTOP