_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
HELP Finding Parts on ILM AT-AT (Star Wars)
dragnink
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 06:21 PM UTC
Hi all, I was hoping the eagle eyes out there with a knack for detail could help me ID the parts in circled in red (along with F). My goal is to completely ID the entire model 100% for my scratch-build. I have photos of just about every area.. if this goes well, we'll all continue with the other photos I have and work on it together. The model in the photos is a direct casting of an original screen-used walker from 1980's "The Empire Strikes Back".

ILM was always using 1/35 Tamiya and Italeri armor, 1/700 battleships, 1/25 AMT trucks of all types, along with Airfix kits in all scales (aircraft/armor), Bandai 1/48 and 1/24 armor and 1/12 scale Tamiya Formula 1 cars. 1/72 kits from Tamiya and Hasegawa were also used (Like the Has. Thor Railway Carrier)

Below is an area I'm working on right now, if anyone has even just ideas or the parts look familiar that will help. Parts you may see and be willing to "part" with would also be appreciated, I would be happy to pay for them.

This is an area just back from the top of the main frame of the walker, it's a recessed area with styrene scribed panels surrounding it. If needed I can scale it to near 1:1 size as the parts appear very large in these pics.

in more detail:

dragnink
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 12:15 AM UTC
Everybody stumped?

Happy to report all parts have been ID'd except for part A (the larger part) on the bottom. I don't even know what I am looking at, so if anyone has any hints as to what it may be mechanically or what type of vehicle it may come from (wwii most likely, but it could be from a 1/20 car or 1/25th amt kit), would help me widdle it down.
RedRhoan
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC
hey there matt. have you checked out Tamiya Model Magazine International Issue 122, December 2005? They did a feature on a nineteen inch AT-AT replica and discussed the kit parts used in the original movie model. here's a sample from the magazine.
dragnink
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 02:52 PM UTC
Hi John, thanks! I remember seeing the cover of that issue but never took a look. So far I've found most of the parts used on the original model, it's just a handful that still elude me including part A. There are a lot more Tamiya parts used, 1/700 battleships, parts from a 1/76 Airfix tank and on the back there's a bunch more including 1/12 F1 brake calipers. Any chance you might have a full scan of the article? I found they actually used the 223 Hull instead of the 222, some subtle differences that only show up in the close reference shots.

The real obstacle in the way of having this built, is finding a machinist who could cnc the legs, which have pistons that animate.
BROCKUPPERCUT
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
try this website for an idea to make the legs
http://www.scifi3d.com/wip_details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=85
 _GOTOTOP